Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Need help on how to use my auto bracketing on my nikon 5000 . . . please!!

Real Name
    Kathy

Need help on how to use my auto bracketing on my nikon 5000 . . . please!!

I am trying to figure out how to use the auto bracketing on my nikon 5000, I have read my manual, but when I go to try it it doesn't work, it only takes 1 photo does anyone know what I am doing wrong? I would really love to experiment with this feature but am getting frustrated!!

I turn my bracketing feature on and have it set to AE 1.0 and on the menu setting I have it set to AE, I then go to shoot my photo expecting 3 photos to be shot but I only get one?? Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks.

Kathy

Real Name
    Mike

Re: Need help on how to use my auto bracketing on my nikon 5000 . . . please!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy O View Post
    I am trying to figure out how to use the auto bracketing on my nikon 5000, I have read my manual, but when I go to try it it doesn't work, it only takes 1 photo does anyone know what I am doing wrong? I would really love to experiment with this feature but am getting frustrated!!
    Hi Kathy, That is the way that my D5000 works also. When bracketing, handheld I switch to continuous release mode, and try to shoot bursts of 3.
    AFAIK the bracketing function sets so that one shot is normal, the next is under, and the next is over. It by itself doesn't change the shutter release mode.

Real Name
    Andrew

Just a silly question, but want to make sure we're not overlooking the obvious... You are holding the shutter release long enough for your camera to actually fire three shots, right? The 'auto bracketing' does not mean that it 'automatically takes 3 pictures for you'.

The drive mode has to be set to multi burst as well, obviously.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

You might also need to be in a specific mode, such as Aperture Priority. The manual should tell you what modes AEB works in on your camera.

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by Myk View Post
    Hi Kathy, That is the way that my D5000 works also. When bracketing, handheld I switch to continuous release mode, and try to shoot bursts of 3.
    AFAIK the bracketing function sets so that one shot is normal, the next is under, and the next is over. It by itself doesn't change the shutter release mode.
    I know this sounds dumb but when you press the shutter release button do you physically hear 3 photo's being taken?? Also when I look at the play back I only see one photo? I should see 3 right??? Also what does AFAIK mean??

Kathy

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew76 View Post
    Just a silly question, but want to make sure we're not overlooking the obvious... You are holding the shutter release long enough for your camera to actually fire three shots, right? The 'auto bracketing' does not mean that it 'automatically takes 3 pictures for you'.

The drive mode has to be set to multi burst as well, obviously.
    Do you have to press the shutter release 3 times???

Kathy

Real Name
    Andrew

Nope - if you're drive is set to 'multi-burst', just press, and hold. You'll hear the shutter fire 3 times. And yes, when you view in auto play back, you'll see 3 photos, all with varying exposures depending on how you have the bracketing set. You can also change the order in which they're taken/displayed in one of your menu options.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy O View Post
    Do you have to press the shutter release 3 times???

Kathy
    Cathy, I have the Nikon D90 and D800, and I expect they will operate in a somewhat similar fashion to your D5000.

All autobracketing does is makes the appropriate changes that you have set in the bracketing parameters. As an example if you bracket +1 stop, 0 stop adjustment and -1 stop, you have to take three separate exposures, If you will have to count the number of shots you have taken, as the camera is just going to adjust the exposure. If you set it in burst mode, it will shot at the high or low burst mode, depending on which one you have picked, but it is still up to you to determine the correct number of shots.

Bottom line, you are correct; you have to press the shutter three times or in burst mode wait for the camera to take three shots. It will not stop automatically.

Real Name
    Grahame

Hi Cathy, not sure if it is applicable to the D5000 but with my D300 there is an option to set the maximum number of shots taken in a burst. This can be used to limit the number of shots taken in the bracketing mode to exactly what you want without having to think about it when in continous shooting mode.

Real Name
    Mike

I know this sounds dumb but when you press the shutter release button do you physically hear 3 photo's being taken?? Also when I look at the play back I only see one photo? I should see 3 right??? Also what does AFAIK mean??
    Nope - if you're drive is set to 'multi-burst', just press, and hold. You'll hear the shutter fire 3 times. And yes, when you view in auto play back, you'll see 3 photos, all with varying exposures depending on how you have the bracketing set. You can also change the order in which they're taken/displayed in one of your menu options.
    This, except no menu options for rearranging the order they are taken or displayed with on the D5k. When bracketing is enabled and continuous release mode is set the shutter fires 3 times then pauses.

AFAIK= As far as I know

Real Name
    Russell

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

If the camera works as my D7000 does, I would just like to reiterate that the camera does not have to be in burst mode. You simply have to release the shutter the number of times that you have configured the camera to bracket your shots, regardless of what mode you are in.

Real Name
    Andrew

[QUOTE I would just like to reiterate that the camera does not have to be in burst mode. You simply have to release the shutter the number of times that you have configured the camera to bracket your shots, regardless of what mode you are in.[/QUOTE]

True, but I can't think of a good reason you would want to do that. I mean, the idea behind bracketing is to just capture different exposures - not changes in the scene. Even while shooting still life, I think it is a better idea to fire the 3 shots off as fast as possible. But, that's just the way I do it. Not wanting to upset any apple carts, as it were.
    Last edited by Andrew76; 24th September 2012 at 05:01 PM.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew76 View Post
    Not wanting to upset any apple carts, as it were.
    No apple carts or any other kinds of carts are upset.