Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Camera straps/holsters

Real Name
    Mark

Camera straps/holsters

Guys, i was originally going to get a black rapid or sun sniper strap, as carrying a camera round the neck is litterally a pain.
    But when i looked they all go onto the cameras tripod mount screw.
    Now when i go out i use the tripod quite a lot, specially since i use a giotto vitruvian tripod, as the base plate usually stays on the camera,so is there any other straps or possible holster mounts that you have seen or used that dont require the tripod mount?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Camera straps/holsters

I use a Cotton Carrier, which is a chest mount. You can buy an accessory that is a combination mount for the carrier and tripod quick release plate, which I use. I have the Arca-Swiss type.

http://www.cottoncarrier.com/

http://www.cottoncarrier.com/video/tripod-use/

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Mark, I use the RS-7 Black Rapid on either of my cameras when I carry only a single camera. I have the Gittos MH 1000-652 base plate on my D3100 all the time and just click the RS-7 onto the base plate D-ring so switching between the tripod and the RS-7 is very fast.

I also have the Op-Tech Dual Harness for when I carry both cameras. As the Op-Tech uses 3/8" quick connects (http://optechusa.com/dual-harness.html), it doesn't use the tripod mounting screw so I can switch back and forth between the two systems in a 'snap'. The Dual-Harness can also carry a single camera as well. The Op-Tech is surprisingly less expensive than the RS-7 but if I am carrying only one camera I still prefer to use the RS-7.

Real Name
    Mark

thanks for those links guys, didnt realise you could get adapter plates,now which one to buy

When I was in a similar position this year, and wanted to ditch the gaudy uncomfortable Canon strap I eventually went for the OpTech option.

Comes in 3 parts. Left and right hand camera straps which attach to the normal camera strap lugs plus an optional shoulder pad. They all click together as required.

Well made and the camera attachment straps are only 10 mm wide so they don't get in the way.

For normal use, I just join the two short camera straps together which gives a loop that is 30 ins long, so it doesn't become a problem on a tripod but is just long enough to hang over my neck when required for safety.

For shoulder use, or longer neck drape, I click in the extra padded portion (14 ins x 2 ins wide). A discrete black colour without any over the top advertising logos etc.