Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Why can't Capture NX2 open JPEGs exported from GIMP?

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Why can't Capture NX2 open JPEGs exported from GIMP?

When I export JPEGs after editing them in GIMP, Nikon Capture NX2 will not read them. NX2 also will not read smaller JPEGs created by my cataloging software from the master JPEG exported from GIMP.

Any ideas?

Re: Why can't Capture NX2 open JPEGs exported from GIMP?

Sorry, Mike, I can't find any reference to that in the books I have. The closest I come is a reference to Nikon's NEF file format:

"A neat feature of Capture NX2 is that if you can open a TIFF or a JPEG in the program, you can save it as an NEF. It is important to note, however, that this new NEF can't be editied in other software such as Adobe CameraRAW, Lightroom, or Apple Aperture. The reason is that this new NEF is a Capture 2 NEF and is different from an NEF you create in your camera. The NEF you create from a JPEG is written in a format that only Capture NX 2 can translate.

"This may seem like an oversight by Nikon, but this approach to image editing is hte same if you start with other programs like Lightroom. For example, if you make changes to your image in Lightroom, such as curves, black-and-white conversion, and so on, then those changes are only visible in Lightroom - not Capture NX 2."

I'm not familiar with GIMP; but maybe the JPEG format you are exporting has something that has been changed in a way that Capture NX 2 can't read?

Thanks for trying, John. I thought I knew CNX2 like the back of my hand but I'm really stumped. GIMP's JPEGs open fine in Photoshop and whatever Windows 7 uses to display them, but not CNX2. This is really bizarre.

I've given up on using GIMP. Its documentation is really poor. I just now realized that it's not saving my files in the color space I believe I've configured it to save. It's exporting JPEGs in files that I can't use with my primary editor. I'll go back to using Photoshop Elements for the few things I was attempting to do in GIMP.