Thread: Enfusion version 4.x

Enfusion version 4.x

I was looking through the ML User's Guide under HDR Bracketing and they mentioned this software. I looked into it some and it was said that exposure fusion in better than HDR in some ways. Has anyone used this software and what are your thoughts on it.

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Enfusion version 4.x

This question might get more answers in the postprocessing forum. Note to the moderators: should it be moved?

But in the meantime: yes. I always use exposure fusion (exposure blending) rather than HDR. I use Lightroom Enfuse, a Lightroom plugin, for this purpose. If you google exposure fusion, you can find examples and explanations on line. However, the simple story is that this is a simpler process in which the software simply selects from each image the pixels that are best exposed, rejecting those that are at the extremes. It is quite similar in effect to manually stacking images with different exposures and then using masks to block out the under- and overexposed areas in each image. I prefer it because it does not do tone mapping, and it therefore generally leaves natural colors. This avoids both accidental color shifts that one sometimes sees in HDR, as well as the painted-on-velvet quality of some extreme HDR.

I'll post two images, both composites of two shots. The first was done with HDR Pro in PS CS5, the second with LR enfuse. Both were done with default settings. Compare the colors, e.g., the sky.

HDR:

Enfusion version 4.x

LR Enfuse:

Enfusion version 4.x

Real Name
    Phil Page

I use it all the time through Photomatix Pro, rather than using HDR for bracketed images

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

It looks like the automation of a technique that has been around for years. Take a couple or three shots unsing a tripod at constant aperture and variable shutter speed. Put all the images on different layers in Photoshop and use layer masks to bring in shadow detail and blown highlights. Something I used to refer to as the "poor man's HDRI).

@ Dan Thank You,
    Wow that is a hugh difference from HDR and LR Enfuse with LR Infuse being the best as far as what looks natural. I really like the whole image better, just to name two..the water and sky look so much more natural. Upgrading software just seems to get a little more complicated. I'll have to give that more thought now.

@ Phil Thank You,
    Will look into the price of all three before leaping.

@ Manfred Thank You,
    That thought may put and edge on my decision for Nik's HDR Pro 2. I really like it but got side tracked with the Enfuse Software. Hummm

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    I'll post two images, both composites of two shots. The first was done with HDR Pro in PS CS5, the second with LR enfuse. Both were done with default settings. Compare the colors, e.g., the sky.
    I too preferred the second image.

My screen color picker tells me that the sky hues were close-ish 200 to 209 degs, but the first image was much more saturated 67% vs 37%!

The shadow detail at the edge of the woods in the second image was more natural (less is more), IMHO.