Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Mosque Long Exposure - c&c welcome

Real Name
    Phil Page

Mosque Long Exposure - c&c welcome

OK, here's a small mosque in the Jumeirah area of Dubai. I couldn't back up any more and wanted to take a long exposure shot - clouds are a rarity in this part of the world so I wanted to give it a go.

I had to go to 28mm on my 24-70 as I only have a circular 10 stop ND filter. My 14-24 takes Lee Filters (very expensively) but I haven't invested in that. I used a 10 stop and 3 stop combined, so 28mm was my minimum due to vignetting cause by the stacked lenses.

Street level was the only way to go, and I could not back up any more due to a wall right behind me. Walking around the mosque, composition would have been compromised in any other location, but I would have had more breathing space at 24mm to correct the perspective distortion. So I settled back to my original location. I have just enough space to correct the distortion in this shot, but I don't think there would be enough space around the mosque as a result. The final image would look too crowded IMO.

So do you think the composition is OK with the perspective distortion, or is it distracting. Is it a case of the distortion emphasizing the reaching the heavens for the minaret or too much to be distracting? Obviously with a long exposure the trees are slightly soft due to motion.

D700, 24-70mm @ 28mm and f22, 10 and 3 stop ND filters stacked, 2 minutes 20seconds exposure, ISO100

Mosque Long Exposure - c&c welcome

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Re: Mosque Long Exposure - c&c welcome

This is a nice image. My only thought is to adjust the verticals of the Mosque building to straighten up the tower and the two ends. If you use Photoshop the Transform/Distort tool will do the job.

Real Name
    Phil Page

Thanks Chris - and also for not reading my comments! I am aware how to adjust the distortion.

I'm not being critical of your critique, but if you are giving it then please read the details beforehand

Real Name
    Richard

For my 2p I think the perspective distortion isn't an issue as it lends that feeling of looking up to the clouds which leads the eye to the most important element. The only bit that gets me is the uprights on the wall at the front but not enough to worry about.

My first thought was that you could have blended a short and long exposure to recover the trees but only because you mentioned them,I like the image as it is.

Real Name
    Sergio

Phil, for me, the distortion is not bothersome or distracting. I didn't even notice it until I read what you wrote, but even then, it doesn't detract from what it is, an outstanding image.

Serge

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Hi Phil,
    Come off it! You know your shots are good and they all work. I just wish to thank you for sharing info as to how you did it. That is the spirit for a learning community!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

It might be helpful for you to know that I reviewed your image before reading your helpful notes. That gave me an opportunity to come to my own opinions about the image with no undue influence from your notes.

Quote Originally Posted by dubaiphil View Post
    Is it a case of the distortion emphasizing the reaching the heavens for the minaret or too much to be distracting?
    Rather than the minarets reaching for the heavens, I see it as the strong, distorted lines in the clouds very nicely complementing the strong distorted lines in the mosque.

This image works very well in every detail for me. Even the softness of the trees helps emphasize the crisp lines of the mosque. As always, a very attractive conversion.

Real Name
    Allan Short

You have to love it when the cloulds work for you that way they can add so much drama to the image.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Phil Page

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I normally like to correct the distortion completely, or in extreme cases leave it in for effect. This is one of those instances where I'm stuck in the middle ground. Only 2 more months to go and then I might see some clouds to break out the 10 stop again!

Real Name
    Steve

Looks pretty effective to me; more dynamic.

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Morning Phil,
    Lovely image. I like the keystone effect in general, although I know a lot of others don't.
    Also amazing how many people seem to skip the words that go with the picture as well.
    I know a picture paints a thousand words, but the actual words can ask something completely different to what you think.
    Kudos for commenting.
    Graham
    (got to get me a big stopper)

Real Name
    Gary

Like Mike, I like to be able to make my own mind up about an image and would tend to look at the image first. Then go back and read the text. I guess this might be the wrong way if people are asking for specific critique. But, I think it also can unduly influence an opinion. So, looking at the image as the image I don't really see a problem with it. I guess if the perspective was wildly out then it would be reflected in people's opinions. But, in this case it isn't so the image works.

Cheers for now

Gary