Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Hama Remote control release No5365

Real Name
    Bruce

Hama Remote control release No5365

Hi,

I bought the above remote release kit from Hama about 6 months ago but have only recently tried to use it on some long expose shots. I have found that by switching the camera to the 'bulb' setting and after clicking the remote switch the unit would not allow the exposure time to run beyond 75 seconds. I tried this exercise on several occasions and each time found the the exposure time was always limited to no more than 75 seconds.

I would like to hear from anyone who has had a similar problem and whether they have been able to fins a solution to this issue of limited exposure. I am planning to buy some ND filters in order to experiment with ultra long exposures of up to 5 minutes and would welcome any advice on this problem.

Regards
    PS

Real Name
    James

Re: Hama Remote control release No5365

You will def. need too be on bulb for long exposures, so you are on the right track there, however, unless there is a lock on your release, you may find that you have to hold down the switch until your exposure time is up - try working with it in a situation where your shots don't matter before you go on location and wind up frustrated and missing shots - also you might check on line for a better documentation for your device - the stuff they send in the boxes is crap!
    Good luck

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Something worth checking would be to see if this is a "feature" or setting of your camera. Check your manual to see if there is a maximum time that the shutter can remain open when using the bulb setting. On my D90, the camera is hard-wired to close the shutter after a 30 minute exposure, regardless of what your cable release.

Weak batteries, either in the camera or in the transmitter or receiver could also be the cause. Try using fully charged or fresh batteries to see if that makes any difference.

If you know someone else with a camera that the unit works with, you could try it out with it, and if you get the same result, chances are that the unit is defective. If not, your camera is more than likely the problem.

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by DeepWater View Post
    You will def. need too be on bulb for long exposures, so you are on the right track there, however, unless there is a lock on your release, you may find that you have to hold down the switch until your exposure time is up - try working with it in a situation where your shots don't matter before you go on location and wind up frustrated and missing shots - also you might check on line for a better documentation for your device - the stuff they send in the boxes is crap!
    Good luck
    Many thanks for your reply James. There is a lock device in the remote control but that does not seem to make any difference as the shutter release is activated after 75 seconds. I have lost whatever paperwork that came with the remote release and so I have phoned the company in Belgium this morning and expert to hear from one of their techies later on today.Thanks again for your reply.
    Regards
    Bruce

Real Name
    Bruce

Thanks for the response and suggestions Manfred. I should have mentioned that the Hama kit was on my EOS 5D Mk2 camera and I know that long exposures are not a problem on this high end gear and that super long exposures up to 30 minutes should be achievable. As I mentioned to James above, I have contacted Hama in Belgium and await a response from one of their techies. It had crossed my mind that, as you have suggested, the batteries in both the receiver and transeiver may need replacing as I have not used this kit for many months. I will let you know how I get on. Thanks again.
    Regards
    Bruce

Real Name
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Something worth checking would be to see if this is a "feature" or setting of your camera. Check your manual to see if there is a maximum time that the shutter can remain open when using the bulb setting. On my D90, the camera is hard-wired to close the shutter after a 30 minute exposure, regardless of what your cable release.

Weak batteries, either in the camera or in the transmitter or receiver could also be the cause. Try using fully charged or fresh batteries to see if that makes any difference.

If you know someone else with a camera that the unit works with, you could try it out with it, and if you get the same result, chances are that the unit is defective. If not, your camera is more than likely the problem.
    Hi Manfred,
    I thought you would like to know that your comment regarding weak batteries was spot on. While I was waiting for someone from Hama to come back to me (they never did!) I thought about your suggestion regarding weak batteries. I put 2 new AA batteries in the remote control receiver unit and hey presto I was able to take a long exposure shot. So lesson learnt and I will always make sure that I have a ready supply of new AA batteries when I am heading out for some night time shots. Thanks again for your help.
    Regards
    Bruce

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

No problem; I'm glad that I was able to help and that your problem has been solved.

Manfred