Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Nikon macro lens

Nikon macro lens

Currently have a Nikon D3200, yes I am a Nikon fan! came with a standard 18 - 55mm AS-S lens wanted a tele so purchased a Tamron 18 - 270 F3.5 - 6.3 VR lens which I find is excellent (before nikons own version). We have formed a photograpy club at work and many of the members are into macro work, having experimented with what I have they can produce pleasing if not spectacular pictures. I am considering the Nikon AF-S VR Micro NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED Lens the reviews are very good but it is expensive (£630 / $1000) any advice would be appreciated.

Real Name
    Grahame

Re: Nikon macro lens

Hi,

In general you will find that the written reviews are very good for just about all the main manufacturer Macro lenses.

Browsing macro images on the web appears to show that the Nikons and Tamrons are the most common that have been used when you come across a really stunning high quality image.

There's always the option of secondhand and the Nikon 105D 2.8 is an excellent older version if you are not worried about VR which is generally insignificant with macro.

Real Name
    John

If you can find it, grab it. Usually back ordered.

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

Very good lens. If you are not needing that much focus length have you check out the Nikon 85mm or if you don't mine using a 3rd party lens maybe the Tamron SP AF60mm both are great lens and cost half what the Nikon 105mm just a just a thought

I have that lens. It works just fine as a macro lens (on a full frame D700) and I also use it as a fast telephoto for flashless concert/theater photography. The VR makes a big difference in situations like that. Sometimes I'll throw it on my camera for just walking around shooting whatever, instead of a zoom lens - it's that much fun to work with!

Real Name
    randy

As has previously mentioned, Tamron is a good alternative to nikkor as far as optical quality. The real question is focal length. The image size on the sensor is the same at any length, but as focal length increases, the further you will be from the subject( which is very helpful with skittish subjects). The price also increases with focal length. The 90mm seems to fit most needs. You should find a used lens at around $450 at reputable dealers.

Real Name
    Richard

I am a Canon Guy but, I use the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 SP AF Macro lens which was also produced in a Nikon mount. The present Tamron offering is the 90mm f/2.8 AF SP Di lens which is supposed to have been optimized for digital photogaphy. However, my older Tamron does an excellent jop and I paid only $100 U.S. Dollars for it many years ago on eBay USA.

http://www.nikonians.org/html/resour...cro/index.html

The Tamron provides very sharp 1:1 imagery but, I am not familiar enough with Nikon gear to know if your camera supports this lens. As a Canon shooter with 1.6x cameras, my cameras support every Canon autofocus lens ever made.

I have a feeling that this lens is not compatible with you camera...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXC-Tamron-9...item51a14fc353

I don't use auto focus when I shoot macro but, I do use the macro lens for other than macro work and would want to have AF available...

hy daveth
    seems the price is a problem for you, and for me it was the same when i was looking for a macro lens. I use a nikon D700 and my final decision was a 55mm f3.5 AI lens. that was my choice not only because of the price, also i considered what expert macro photographers said to me: "in macro shooting the AF is almost useless (some of them neither used "almost")". So, considering that i own a lot of old AI and AI-S lenses, and i'm used to manual focusing, and i know how much quality (unexpected for a lot of people) some of those lenses old can bring in comparison with modern lenses, i decided to buy a 55mm (payed less than 80€ used).
    consider the need of an AF motor in macro, using my 55mm i convinced myself that it's not totally useless, but almost.
    the only problem with your camera is that you're gonna lose the exposimeter use because it's a non professional camera, but i hope you'll take your time for every single macro picture, so i don't think it's a real problem

got the lens from Amazon, superb build quality. Have started to take some macro shots and am very impressed with the sharp detail, however on a learning curve. the "experts" say the lens is also a very good at portraits, tried a couple and yes it is very, very good. time will tell how good it is, although lorenzobix says its a non professional camera it has 24 mega pixels so cropping and keeping the detail is easy but more importantly I take photos for enjoyment, dont use the auto setting and get an awful lot of satisfaction from photography, I dont have to be professional, just a tiny bit better than the next snapper to be appreciated!! its a brilliant hobby and there are loads of people willing to offer great advice on getting better, cheers for the replys and who knows may even post a few pix for comments.