Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: what lens would it take

Real Name
    glenn

what lens would it take

Hi guy's
    This is probably off topic, but as got me thinking.
    on the subject of kate middleton being photographed topless recently, which as caused a lot of media attention of late. I read today that the photographer was a mile away when he got the shot, so my question which is on topic is this, what kind of lens would you need to achieve this, and also what kind of price would it be.
    many thanks Glenn.

Real Name
    Phil Page

Re: what lens would it take

I heard that the shooter was around 1000 yards from the subject.

Tripod, 800mm, teleconvertor and a crop sensor body with enough MP for a decent crop should do the trick if you're interested in getting into that line of work

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Or a birding/astronomical scope (so looking at between 20-60x and 200+x magnification respectively) with camera stuck on.
    That should do it. High iso to get acceptable shutter speed. Reasonable prices.
    No DSLR required.
    Using 800mm = 16x mag, crop (1.5) and 2x teleconvertor gives you 48 magnification. Plus cropping in the pixels.
    Graham

Real Name
    Richard

At least no one in the U.K. is attempting to burn the French Embassy and kill the French Ambassador because of these pictures.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    At least no one in the U.K. is attempting to burn the French Embassy and kill the French Ambassador because of these pictures.
    Hey! Why didn't I think of that?

Real Name
    Steve

I heard it was 1/2 mile away with pics of the shooting location in the Daily Mail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...its-woman.html

I'm glad you asked the question since a long lens is probably required costing around £15000 and is hard to hide; so what if it was a gun instead that would mean we would have to watch endless tv about them.

Another question; who paid for it? Leveson is deliberating sanctions or new laws on press freedom and I heard this proves self regulation works.
    Last edited by arith; 16th September 2012 at 03:23 PM.

Real Name
    randy

I think that this is another example of shoddy photographic ethics by the French papparazzi. Although it can be argued that Kate should have known better, a more ethical photographer would have skipped that shot. I think that today's shots in the Solomon's better represent the future king and queen.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by rtbaum View Post
    I think that this is another example of shoddy photographic ethics by the French papparazzi. Although it can be argued that Kate should have known better, a more ethical photographer would have skipped that shot. I think that today's shots in the Solomon's better represent the future king and queen.
    Am I missing something because everybody keeps mentioning future King and Queen. I thought the Duchess of Cornwall was next and then after they mess it all up we become a republic with Tony the 1st as president.