Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Member Question - Shutter Count on Canon 1100D

New Member Question - Shutter Count on Canon 1100D

Hello everybody,

I'm Andreas from Germany, registered here to improve my English and to find a solution for my DSLR Canon EOS 1100d which is my beginning to digital Photography.
    I just bought this Camera (used on ebay) and would like to check wether the seller told me the truth about the pics he took.

So my first question to find out is: if anybody found a way to extract the pic number / shutter count of this 1100D ?!

My knowledge is: The EOS 1100d doesn't write the number in the jpg EXIF information and is not compatible to the astrojargon.net-tool which shows many EOS-Types numbers (e.g. 1000d).

I would be very happy, when anybody could help me.

Best regards from Essen, Germany,

Andreas
    Last edited by Donald; 14th September 2012 at 04:43 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: New Member Question - Shutter Count on Canon 1100D

Andreas

This is the thread into which I have copied your introductory message. I think more members who will be able to provide an answer, will see it here.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Your English doesn't seem to need any improvement, Andreas. (Though mine as an American does.) I wonder how the seller knew the shutter count if the camera doesn't record it in the metadata. Did the seller explain?

If you want to post an image, I'll review it in the software that I use to determine whether it finds the shutter count.

Real Name
    Helen Wood

Hi Andreas . There is freeware called Eosinfo by Astrojargon. Have not tried it but came across the link . Welcome

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Hi Andreas,

Welcome, welcome, welcome.

Don't now if it will work for your Canon, but PICASA reflects the true shutter count on my Nikon, in the EXIF data.

Real Name
    John

This software seems to be the favoured one in recent years

http://astrojargon.net/EOSInfo.aspx

You might also find more by searching for CHDK for your camera. CHDK relates to camera hacks. The software is loaded onto a card rather than reprogramming the camera.

John

Hi everybody, thanks for ALL your answers!

I found out something:
    * My Camera (EOS 1100d) does NOT write the Shutter Count into the EXIF JPEG information, so it is not possible to extract the shutter count out of a jpeg pic.
    * The Eosinfo by Astrojargon works for many EOS Cameras, but not yet for 1100d (only for the former model 1000d is supported)
    * The CHDK is a very good idea and seems to be very powerful, but does also not support the Canon EOS 1100d.

But there is another tool, similar to CHDK, which supports more EOS Models, it is called
    --> Magic Lantern (URL: http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/1100D)

Unfortunately the 1100d is not yet completely tested and (they write on their website) "IS DANGEROUS AND MIGHT DAMAGE YOUR CAMERA". Cause I'm scared I better wait a little for the next stable version. What do you think?

Real Name
    Russell

Hi, Just found this http://www.camerashuttercount.com/
    Take a RAW photo and follow the instructions.
    It works for the 1000D and you loose nothing to try it.
    Russ

Real Name
    John

I took my second hand 5D to an official uk based canon repair and service centre shortly after I bought it. I thought I would pay for one professional sensor etc clean and ask them to check the shutter count because I had been told that it had around 4,000 actuations. I should have gone a few weeks earlier as they had just received a letter from Canon UK asking them to stop checking shutter actuations for people other than when the shutter mechanism is actually replaced or faulty. You may have better luck in Germany. The count is stored in the camera itself and they can check it. They did admit that. They also reckoned that the various web software that is available didn't give a reliable number. I suspect this relates to the one hidden in raw files as canon's later digic firmware been thoroughly hacked as far as I am aware.

John

Quote Originally Posted by russellsnr View Post
    Hi, Just found this http://www.camerashuttercount.com/
    Take a RAW photo and follow the instructions.
    It works for the 1000D and you loose nothing to try it.
    Russ
    Thanks for the Website. I uploaded a picture. That's the result:

"It looks like your camera doesn't supply the necessary information. "

@ajohnw

Why should Canon ask service centers to do this only for some cameras and not for others? I can't imagine this.
    Anyway. When there IS the shutter count info in the camera, and if its possible to read it with special tools in a service center, then I think there are freak people able to do so too.

i suppose you found the answer. If not try this. http://dropcanvas.com/jkthh/2 . It worked with my 1100d which i bought second hand in greece . Tasos from Zakinthos december 2015

Real Name
    Yes

DSLR Controller is listed as working with the 1100D - for just a few pounds you get all the info including shutter count, as well as remote operation on an android device.

As a quick reminder to everyone, this thread is three years old except for the previous two posts.

Real Name
    J stands for John

I find this pre-occupation with shutter count rather amusing and pointless ...does the camera look in good condition? does it work AOK? Those are the meaningful questions and I have bought numerous 2/h cameras over the years and only with digital and ready interest free time payment schemes have I bought new in digital times.

But then although I can and do on rare occasions blaze off frames normally I see a photo and know it is what I want to record and record it, occasionally taking two frames. Result is my cameras do not reach 10,000 uses which from reading I gather is well within manufacturing expectations, especially for a DSLR.

As an ex-film user I learnt that it 'costs' to shoot more frames and habits die hard ... a habit I think would be good for digital users to learn ....but then I am a silly old fogie am I not

Even if this is a three year old thread it is an attitude worth discussing today.

Andreas,

If you are looking for a simple app/executable that fetches shutter count information directly from Canon DSLR, then HMW12 and ajohnw are correct; EOSinfo is the simplest option. It does work fine with 1100D (see screenshot below).

In addition to EOSinfo.exe executable file, you shall also need two additional files: EDSDK.dll and EdsImage.dll. Also - depending on the version of Windows you are running - you may need to install .NET Framework.

1. Create EOSinfo directory.
    2. Download all three files (http://bit.ly/1Z6kKno) [files shared by Dave Dugdale] to EOSinfo Directory.
    3. Connect your 1100D to PC via USB cable.
    4. Close EOSUtility and/or any other app that might be connected to 1100D (in order to provide EOSinfo exclusive access).
    5. Execute EOSinfo.exe.

The end result should look something like this:

New Member Question - Shutter Count on Canon 1100D

Jkat

Real Name
    Marc

JKat was faster, i'd just post about the EOSInfo Tool...sad, but true...it doesn't work with older APS-C Canon <40D, and also not the famous 5D. The EOS 1100D does have basically the Sensor taken from the former EOS 450D, and the DxOMark Scores are very close together. It's also sadly true, that the 1100D is "in-famous" for the cheapest build Quality of all EOS Bodies yet, but the IQ is still way nice. Enjoy your Canon, and have a great time here and onto the Forums. :-) btw, i am from Bochum, Essen is like Dortmund the next City here.

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by jcuknz View Post
    I find this pre-occupation with shutter count rather amusing and pointless . . . Even if this is a three year old thread it is an attitude worth discussing today.
    I concur. My view is, generally the need to know the Shutter Count is pointless and the pre-occupation with knowing it, is somewhat amusing.

I think that most DSLR’s which are sold second hand are not anywhere near 80,000 or 100,000 actuations. If they are then it’s probably obvious such as an old model 1 Series being bought from an hard working Professional; or an old camera being bought as more of a collector’s item, than a tool for photography, like my EOS D30, for example.

Also the Shutter Count of itself doesn’t have that much meaning beyond statistics: for example a shutter might be “rated” for 50,000 actuations, but there’s not much information on when shutters actually are likely to die and as far as I understand the “rating” is NOT quantified by data of dead shutters – but rather it is a TR&D Tab Test. As personal example (which is not a large sample group admittedly but proves the point that there is an element of "luck of the draw"), I have had one EOS 5D shutter die at 67 shots and an EOS 20D still travelling strong at >60,000 (probably 65,000).

However, the OP does qualify the reason for asking about the shutter count and that qualification does have merit, my bold for emphasis:

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasInGermany View Post
    . . . I just bought this Camera (used on ebay) and would like to check wether [sic] the seller told me the truth about the pics he took.

Because the OP wanted to know the shutter count to validate what the seller told him, it might be because the OP wants to buy more gear from that particular seller and was seeking to quantify how much trust he should have for the Seller in the future.

In any case the OP seems long gone, so we probably won’t ever know.

WW

Post Script:

Andreas: if you ever do come back you wrote that one point of joining was to improve your English, so:

There are three- / 'weather' / 'wether' / 'whether' / in English.

The first two are spoken identically, the last is spoken with more force air from the mouth to create the "wh" sound.

weather - has to do with the temperature; the wind; the clouds and rain and snow etc
    wether - is a sheep or goat having been castrated before sexual maturity
    whether - is used to differentiate between two things - and this was the word that you should have used

WW
    Last edited by William W; 14th December 2015 at 03:14 AM. Reason: added post script

Real Name
    Marc

Well, bad things happen...your 5D Shutter was a monday morning part, then...the Shutter onto the 5D is rated for 100.000 actuations, or clicks. The 10D, 20D are all less then 100.000 Shots, possible 50.000 clicks rated only. There is a website on the net whereas you can check when shutter xy from Camera Brand, Modell xy typically -but not always- dies from a huge mass of users, here - also only a few models are online with their shutterlife:

http://www.olegkikin.com/shutterlife/

PS: Since the 30D, the Shutter was rated 100.000 clicks.

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    My view is, generally the need to know the Shutter Count is pointless and the pre-occupation with knowing it, is somewhat amusing.
    I'm not preoccupied with knowing the shutter count of my cameras but I do occasionally look the information up for my amusement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast