Thread: A Tree

Real Name
    Meisam

A Tree

A Tree

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Re: A Tree

Good shot, I think it works well. Nice composition. A tad more contrast will add to it, try and see.

Real Name
    Kevin

I love images of trees. I just bought a book of trees by Robert Adams, who won a Hasselblad award for the book. Clearly I am not sophisticated enough to appreciate the nuances of his art- I would prefer this shot to just about any in Adam's book. I enjoyed this image, thank you for sharing it. Bringing down the exposure and the sky highlights might be worth some trial and error

Real Name
    Bobo

I like it and that you decided to go b/w. Not sure though about the slanting.

Real Name
    Meisam

Thanks guys...
    There still remained a question in my mind. Everyone has a taste, I like low key contrasty B/W.
    Once Donald told me, try to show more details in your b/w. I agree with him, but I like more contrast. More black... less details...

A Tree
    gravesend 5 by chrisfriel, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Meisam View Post
    Thanks guys...
    There still remained a question in my mind. Everyone has a taste, I like low key contrasty B/W.
    Once Donald told me, try to show more details in your b/w. I agree with him, but I like more contrast. More black... less details...

A Tree
    gravesend 5 by chrisfriel, on Flickr
    A melody can be played at the middle of the piano,or at the left of the piano and that could be translate as low key but all sounds must be heared to be the same melody.The same thing is in photography.Of course I like your tree but there I didn't see low key.There,left side,upper left side,is disturbing for me because is to open.In Capture NX is very easy to corect it.

On the left of the piano keyA Tree
    more leftA Tree
    On the rightA Tree
    more right ......there is no more right
    Thank you
    Radu

PS-about the shot with those three birds,in my opinion only two must be there.
    Last edited by Radu Dinu Cordeanu; 15th September 2012 at 08:03 PM.

Real Name
    Meisam

Thanks Radu...
    I have asked Chris how he made that photo, he told me he only overexposed that and used a red filter.
    I tried some but I never succeed.

Thanks Radu...
    I have asked Chris how he made that photo, he told me he only overexposed that and used a red filter.
    I tried some but I never succeed.
    If you work digital photography-expose normally,then,in pp,you create a New Layer then cover it with Paint Bucket Tool with the colour of the foreground(0/0/0 that means black)then will change the Blending Mode to Soft Light and then with Erase Tool,at a not too much density,correct the Low Key effect on those areas where you don't want to apply it.(That seems to be easily in PSE)
    Thanks
    Radu

Real Name
    Meisam

Thanks Radu
    I made this with your instruction.

A Tree

I like it...

Thanks Radu
    I made this with your instruction.

A Tree

I like it...
    Intervention over the sky seems to be too brutal,on my display.If you want to tell a story about a certain way of life-create a New Layer,Foreground on black,Background on white,Gradient Tool from up to down,not only one time,,Blending Mode on i.e. Color Burn(you must try your own blending mode),Erase Tool(20%) from down to up much more down and less on the upper side.
    A Tree
    Thanks
    Radu

PS- in classical photography,on B/W negative film orange or red filter worked well with an easy underexposure not over exposure to obtain deep black.On reversible color film a easy underexposure helped to obtain more saturate colours.Now,in digital era,underexposure increase noise.
    Last edited by Radu Dinu Cordeanu; 17th September 2012 at 01:06 PM.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Hi Meisam,

What you have said about what you prefer is so true. Think all of us have preferences. It makes me very weary of critique on other’s work, unless they ask for it. Photography is after all about what the photographer is trying to convey to his/her audience. Some might like it and others will hate the same.

In B&W I like rich high contrast scenes with really dark and light areas. Gives a warm feel to it.

Keep shooting.

Real Name
    Meisam

Thanks for your notes.

Radu: That was a foggy morning (I think it was about 6am or 7am). I like this shot in BW more than in color.
    Andre: I agree with you. I feel the same on what BW should be.

Thanks for your notes.

Radu: That was a foggy morning (I think it was about 6am or 7am). I like this shot in BW more than in color.
    Andre: I agree with you. I feel the same on what BW should be.
    All right if was a foggy day the same method but using Paint Bucket Tool to emphasize the foggy effect,then erase Tool as I said before and finally Lasso Tool on the upper half and Gaussian Blur as your taste
    A Tree
    Thanks
    Radu

Real Name
    Meisam

It looks nice...