Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Canon 7D rear button focus

Real Name
    Richard

Canon 7D rear button focus

I can see the advantages in using the rear button focus on my 7D but, it tends to be problematic for me to use my thumb to activate this button. My thumb comfortably rests at a 45 degree angle between the back focus button and the start/stop button. Bringing my thumb to rest over the back focus button puts a strain on the thumb and is quite uncomfortable for me.

I have had surgery on my right thumb and that may be the reason that it is not comfortable for me to hover the right thumb over the back focus button while my index finger is at the shutter release button.

Has anyone else experienced such difficulty? I don't think that it is simply technique on my part, but, possibly that coud be it!

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Canon 7D rear button focus

I use it most of the time on my 50D (a slightly smaller body, I think) without discomfort. However, it just happens that my right thumb is not one of the several digits that is messed up one way or the other.

Real Name
    Kathy

I have small hands. I just found it more comfortable to swap the AF-ON and * button functions in the custom settings, so I wouldn't have to reach over as much.

Real Name
    Richard

Kathy, thanks for the idea. I will have to try your solution!

I don't have any problem but then I haven't had surgery. Something like that will often have some impact on a limb/digits performance even when it seems to be well healed. Luckily the 7D is quite configurable so, as Kathy suggests, maybe one of the other buttons can be set to do the job.

Real Name
    Noel

hi Richard,
    I have also had alot of panel beating on my right thumb, both joints fused so I can only move it from the base. My difficulty with the trio of back buttons is that I cannot get my thumb into the target button without pressing a neighbour. I position my hand similar to you, and when I need to get at a back button I swing my hand upwards from 45° low to 45° high. Not sure if this will help, but you definitely are not alone.
    regards,
    - Noel

Real Name
    Richard

It's hell growing old but, it certainly beats the alternative...