Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: LEARNING TO SEE -- or --my attempt at contribution to the group

Real Name
    Gretchen

LEARNING TO SEE -- or --my attempt at contribution to the group

Even tho Photography is dealing with light and my Art training was in Pigment --I have found, not only here, but in other areas of life, the basic instruction I received in art class in my youth, high school and collage were essential in learning to have that "artist's eye". While natural curiosity is nice, I think it can also be learned.

A book I really recommend is for non-majors. The exercises the author uses are many of the same I was subjected to in college -- and the same ones used for pre-school "training" classes.

For anyone looking for instruction on what to look for in composition or in PP skills, I highly recommend Drawing on the Left Side of the Brain: http://www.drawright.com/

There are probably blogs, tutorials and youtube videos out there as well one wants to save money and is willing to google. The exercises are pretty basic stuff. The author of the book just has them all gathered in one spot and does a great job of instruction.

Real Name
    Andrew

Re: LEARNING TO SEE -- or --my attempt at contribution to the group

Gretchen, I took your advice from the other post and looked at this book. It is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thank you very much for the information - I've yet to decide if I should order the book (far less expensive), or possibly delve into the 'Portfolio with DVD'. More expensive, but gives you some basic tools, and an instructional DVD. Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain looks like a well published read.

It has been a while since I've tried something so new, and that I know so little about - I wonder if the 'tools' they provide are even worth it, but it's a starting point!

Thanks again!

Real Name
    Sergio

Gretchen, I couldn't draw to save my life, so anything that can help that deficiency is worth considering. I will look into their website further.

Thanks for providing the link.

Serge

Real Name
    Gretchen

Andrew --all you need is a pencil and paper --I really don't think you need to buy "art materials" just have a good pencil sharpener and a good white eraser. If you enjoy it and want to delve further, then buy a few pencils or better paper.

Serge --Really Serg --it's not about drawing --it's about learning to SEE. But,anyone can draw --you just have to learn to see and train your fine motor skills --eye-finger coordination.

Well, I can't draw anymore --but that is a hand problem. I could probably render if I had a fat enough pencil but I can't hold skinny stuff for very long at all anymore without pain and loss of strength.

Glad I could help!

Real Name
    Sergio

Quote Originally Posted by ggt View Post
    Serge --Really Serg --it's not about drawing --it's about learning to SEE. But,anyone can draw --you just have to learn to see and train your fine motor skills --eye-finger coordination.
    LOL, boy do I need this book.

Quote Originally Posted by ggt View Post
    Well, I can't draw anymore --but that is a hand problem. I could probably render if I had a fat enough pencil but I can't hold skinny stuff for very long at all anymore without pain and loss of strength.
    Glad I could help!
    Sorry to hear about that, Gretchen, but I'm glad you can still take photos and share them with us.

Serge

Real Name
    Gretchen

Thanks Serge --Every couple of months I get out some tools and try some fine motor work again --needle work or drawing. You never know what the body will do. I've had success with this method in the past with other things. If I could write a check without being in pain in the end, I will consider my efforts successful!!!

It can be a bummer, but there are ALWAYS ways to be creative. I'm so glad I've found CIC. You guys present lots of challenges --that keeps me interested and curious.