Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Flamingo portrait Comments please

Real Name
    Kris Harmon

Flamingo portrait Comments please

Went to the Cameron Park Zoo in Waco last week to take some pictures. It was extremely harsh light, and extremely hot at 106F. Most of the animals were lounging and being lazy in the heat. I can't say that I blame them. I worked with the hard light as best I could, and after about 200 frames I think this one was the best of the group.

*EDIT* I re-read the post I had originally put up last night and could tell it was closing in on bed time when I posted. It made no sense whatsoever.

Flamingo portrait  Comments please
    Last edited by KHarmon; 13th September 2012 at 03:03 PM.

Real Name
    Mark

Re: Flamingo portrait Comments please

Lovely shot, i like it full frame, nice and crisp with good colour, they are really quite strange birds up close with that bent beak! Always think of croquet and alice in wonderland

Real Name
    Kris Harmon

Quote Originally Posted by darknight View Post
    Lovely shot, i like it full frame, nice and crisp with good colour, they are really quite strange birds up close with that bent beak! Always think of croquet and alice in wonderland
    I had never paid any attention to their bill, or beak, before this one and they are definitely strange. Thank you for the comment.

KHarmon

Real Name
    Tommy

Nice portrait.

Did you crop it much? I can see that it is suffering from a bit of chromatic aberration that I am sure you could correct in PP. Also it is not quite as sharp as I think it could be. If you had to crop it quite a lot then there's not much you can do about the latter, but if the quality has reduced a bit from down-sizing then I am sure you can get it much sharper in post.

Nice image though

Real Name
    Gretchen

Very cool! That beak looks like a evolutionary failure to me, but what do I know LOL

I can see how the feathers around the eye could be sharper, and perhaps the underside of the beak --some reflection in there? Maybe change the temperature of the background to the opposite of the bird --it seems to be tinged with pink? There seems to be some blue/purple reflection? on the underside of the beak, eyelid and the back of the neck feathers. It's either my monitor or I'm nitpicking . . .Ignore me.

It's really a lovely shot. Thanks for posting!