Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Waterfall

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

Waterfall

Been working on learning how to get them silky smooth water shots. This one was took when we was at a State Park here. I when through a ton of frames playing around with the shutter speed before I got her right or about as right as I could. I also used a B@W ND filter. C@C is welcome.

Waterfall

Canon T3 /EF-S 15-85mm 1/2 @ f/16 ISO 100

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Waterfall

This is a really gorgeous image, Paul. Your composition and post-processing brings out the three-dimensional nature of the scene very nicely. You've got rich colors in the leaves and rocks without being overly saturated.

You were able to slow the shutter down enough to blur the water without losing any clarity in the leaves; there must have been little or no wind. You haven't presented a large image here, so be sure to check the leaves at 100% in the full-size version.

My guess is that the suggestions you receive will be mostly about stylistic preferences. As an example, some might understandably suggest that the waterfall is centered a bit too much and that moving it a little off center might render the image less static.

Real Name
    Paul Melkus

Thanks Mike. As for the waterfall being a bit too centered we all know and try to follow the Rule of Thirds but rules can be broke and do get broke in this case to get the shot we are looking for. The photo look good in Lightroom as far as clarity gose and little else was needed. Yes it was a very calm day and late in the day in fact I try this spot early but there was too much sun light coming in and I kept blowing out my shots.
    Last edited by Melkus; 12th September 2012 at 09:57 AM.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Paul very nice image, good postioning of the cascade, also good overall colour and brightness, I find that 1/2 sec is a very good starting place as to slowing down the water. Again very nice image.

Cheers:

Allan

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Paul,

I didn't mean to imply that the waterfall is too centered. Instead, I mentioned that possibility only as an example of the change that others might prefer. I actually like the centered approach that you used, as I think it helps accentuate that the viewer is looking through a three-dimensional opening in the forest.