Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Trinity

Real Name
    Sergio

Trinity

Assuming good composition ( a big ?), is there a way to take this shot from this perspective and avoid the leaning/tilting of the structure or is there a way in post processing to straighten things out? I only have Aftershot Pro and the Gimp.

Thanks.

Serge

Trinity
    Last edited by Sergio M.; 10th September 2012 at 09:49 PM.

Real Name
    Philip

Re: Trinity

Hi Serge
    Nice shot. I like the composition and the angle. Its a shame the horizontal part of the cross falls along the top of the wall, I might have tried to find an angle that produces a little more separation from the church ruin. Maybe slightly higher and a little further back.
    To answer your question, there are some rather fancy bits of equipment that can be used to maintain perspective, bellows and the like. I'm afraid I don't know much about the subject, undoubtedly someone with more knowledge will fill you in correctly! Alternatively, and more practically, Photoshop has some well developed tools for correcting perspective. Straightening the wall on the left I suspect is not that difficult, however returning the arches to an upright position may be more problematic.
    What exactly would you like to correct?

Cheers
    Phil

Real Name
    Sergio

Philip,

Thanks for viewing and commenting. I agree with you on the cross falling on the horizontal top of the wall. I might be going back and I will try as you suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn
    What exactly would you like to correct?
    I was just wondering if this kind of leaning is normal since I do see it in other shots (not only my own). Is this type of distortion problematic and does it ruin an otherwise good shot or is it a personal thing?

Thanks for your input.

Serge

Real Name
    Philip

Hope you dont mind, a rough and ready attempt at correction...

Trinity

Real Name
    Sergio

Philip, I don't mind at all. Very nicely done. How and what did you use?

Serge

Real Name
    Philip

Actually, it was more simple than I thought lol
    The 'free transform' tool in Photoshop CS5, then cropped it slightly to get rid of the resulting artifact in the top right corner.
    Phil

Real Name
    Sergio

The Gimp has a perspective tool. I will have to play with that and see what I can do.

Thanks, Phil.

Serge

Real Name
    Bobo

While there is a way to correct in software it is far better to get it right the first time.

Try taking a panorama type shot (ie a series of shots) with the camera in a sideways position. Each time making sure that the sides are straight and that there is a 30-50% overlap between shots. Best done with a tripod so you do not accidentally tilt up or down as that too will kill the perspective. Back home, stitch the shots in your software of choice.

Or you could get one of those horribly expensive lens but even then you will be twiddling with the knobs on the lens to get the correct perspective.
    Last edited by Bobobird; 10th September 2012 at 10:47 PM.

Real Name
    Sergio

Bobo,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. The panorama style of shooting sounds interesting. I assume I need a tripod in order to maintain everything level between shots. I will see what I can find on Google pertaining to websites that might have tutorials.

Thanks.

Serge

Real Name
    Bobo

Yes a tripod would be most useful.

If you do find any web info please post the links.