Thread: Kilgore the Patio Toad-more lighting and PP trials --C&C always

Real Name
    Gretchen

Kilgore the Patio Toad-more lighting and PP trials --C&C always

We have a resident Toad. He seems to prefer our patio. Hubby has taken him to the pond at the end of the neighborhood, but he always returns. There is one outside light on the side of the house and I had a flashlight and a white board to try to isolate the light. Pictures were taken after dark when he comes out to warm himself under the light.

1-Looks like he is posing with his leg up on the cable! I don't think I was very successful as there is a dark shadow behind him, but I like his face.

2-Kilgore from behind. I do like the angle of his spine. I hard a hard tie deciding what was "straight" I eventually decided to use his "hips", but He still looks crooked. I think I over lightened the background?

3-Kilgore returning to his spot under the door and behind the woodwork --I don't know how I could have gotten rid of the shadow in front of him?

Thanks for your insight!

Real Name
    Roger

Re: Kilgore the Patio Toad-more lighting and PP trials --C&C always

That's one awesome toad! I love shots 1 & 2 my only comment (and I'm just a newbie) is I would of maybe had a little more space in front of the toad.

Real Name
    Gretchen

Roger, he seems fat and happy. Maybe a little more infront of #2. I like to fill the frame. Old habits --instructions preached by yearbook advisor in high school "fill frame!".

Real Name
    Robert Farkas

If that's a Cane Toad be careful (can't say for sure, all the ones I've captured down our way have long nails / claws and I didn't think they were that far north in the US) - real menace down here in Florida; we have a Koi pond and they're attracted to water (and light); spent thousands in emergency medical for our dogs over the past 3 years...

Real Name
    Bobo

Fill the frame, not fill the frame etc etc, really depends on what you want to show. Here fill the frame seems to work as there is nothing but dead space around him.

As for the shadows, you will need to get creative and perhaps more lights. A flashlight placed on the ground and pointing into the shadows might work.

As Roger said, just a fraction more space on the right side would be perfect. About the same amount as there is above his head would be sufficient, and you could then reduce the left side by the same amount to lessen the length of shadow.

Don't get too worried about a little bit of shadow with wild animal photos. In many cases, I think it helps to make for a more natural shot. But preferably have the shadow behind or underneath the subject.