Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: My first portrait

Real Name
    Paul

My first portrait

My subject is sports but had ago at this, what do you guys think...

My first portrait

Real Name
    John

Re: My first portrait

Hi Paul,
    What a beauty.
    Like you, I have little or no experience in portraiture but would say on my screen it looks a little overexposed; but as I said “what would I know”.
    I’ll be interested in the comments from the more experienced in this subject matter; but whatever the feedback, it’s a keeper for sure.

Real Name
    Andrew

For me it's about one stop over exposed. Reds too hot? Nice spread of light so don't back it up, just turn it down. It will allow a bit more of the facial features and texture to the clothing to show through. A further touch of softness overall and sharpening the eyes might be an option. Also, moving the subject away from the background prevents shadows. In this case the background being further away would not have the shadow behind the left ear so it would be brighter and separate the face better. Combing the hair is entirely a subjective decision as the baby's personality might suit it the way it is. If this is a family member and you are going to do more you might also do a search on posing babies so you've got some variety. There's some pro's here that I'm sure will add other options to chose from. Nice start for a first.
    Last edited by Andrew1; 9th September 2012 at 11:20 PM.

Real Name
    Gretchen

Woah, you captured those eyes! I agree it is a bit overexposed and you can probably tone down the red a bit. Or you could just crop close to show the face and THOSE EYES and forget about the rest.

My first portrait

I hope you don't mind I played with it. She is just adorable. I delete all CIC files when I've finished with them.