Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Rye Playland NY

Real Name
    Orlando

Rye Playland NY

I like this photo and I can't seem to get my mind on removing (by way of croping) the building on the lower right. Do you think the tower makes my butt, errr I mean is it too centered? Does it take away from the tower? Adds to the photo?
    As I just added the photo, the window is cropping the photo and I'm more convinced it should stay but...
    what's your take?
    Rye Playland NY

Real Name
    John

Re: Rye Playland NY

Hi Orlando,
    I like it; but would crop off some of the left-hand side, if mine.
    The main thing is that you captured a shot with a composition you like & I'm sure many others will too.

This is the sort of thing I was thinking of; I kept it small just a example and will happily remove it if you wish.
    Thanks for sharing.

Rye Playland NY

Hey Orlando,

Beautiful color and I like the light reflections on the water. I think John has a good idea on cropping your image. It does stand out more to me as it lost all that empty space to the left.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Orlando, I might just suggest going against the grain a bit and offer cropping about 1/3rd of the sky and keep the width. The wider view better supports the landscape view and the dark left side provides a return point for the eye without which the horizontal and vertical lines tend to take the eye out of the scene.

Real Name
    Orlando

I agree, cropping some of the left would make it better. I'll probably do less of a crop on the left than what JPS did, but with the same cropping on top (nod to JPS, I appreciate the example). My mind probably didn't want to remove part of the amusement park but it's barely noticeable. I still have that mentality when all the grownups told me to get everything in the picture. Hard to break out of that after so many years!

So the main focus is the buildings and the reflection off the water.

Thanks to all for your helpful suggestions.