Thread: Prince Edward Island

Real Name
    Myra

Prince Edward Island

One of the reasons I so enjoy CinC is being able to view other parts of the world through the submitted photos. So, in case anyone else likes to virtually travel via the forum, I'm posting some shots from my trip to Prince Edward Island this weekend. My main goal was to photograph a certain lighthouse I had seen in a wedding shoot. Mission accomplished as I found the right spot! C&C always welcomed and appreciated.

Prince Edward Island
    947Z3649 sig frame by M.J. Hencher, on Flickr

Prince Edward Island
    947Z3562 sig by M.J. Hencher, on Flickr

Prince Edward Island
    947Z3483 cropped sig by M.J. Hencher, on Flickr

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Prince Edward Island

Thank you so much for posting these Myra. I really miss scenes like this as it's been about 25 years since I lived in NS and could visit PEI on a regular basis. That was back before the bridge.

Real Name
    Myra

Thanks for commenting, Frank. We live much nearer the ferry than the bridge, but usually take the bridge anyway. You don't end up missing it and sitting in line for another 70 minutes that way

Real Name
    Tommy

I really like these Myra. I really like the tone and colours, especially in #1 and #3.

They are also just very pleasant coastal scenes that remind me of where I am from (near the coast) and I miss not being there.

Thanks a lot for sharing :-)

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Very nicely done Myra. Clever use of shallow DOF in 1 and 2 and a lovely simple scene in 3. All nice and sharp and well focussed and processed.

Dave

Real Name
    Miltos

All three are excellent Myra.

In #1 the composition is great and the shallow DoF works great although I would probably preferred just a touch more detail in the background (less OoF).

The #2 is the one I really love. This gradient blur due to the shallow DoF is very pleasing to my eye as well as the dark sand - white bird contrast.

In #3 the composition is perfect but it looks a bit over-processed to me, like if you have pushed the clarity slide in Lightroom more than necessary but I am not sure. Unfortunately the image is not of high enough resolution for us to enjoy and evaluate properly.

Once again congrats for your lovely images.
    Last edited by MilT0s; 4th September 2012 at 10:54 PM.

Real Name
    Allen Conway

I like the last one best - I like the stillness and the simplicity. The 1st two I don't like that much because of the artistic use of DOF. In the first the lighthouse is, I suggest, more interesting than the creels (not the right word, I think, but the only one that springs to my sluggish mind) and yet is not in focus. Moreover it's in focus enough for it to distract and attract. In the 2nd the man is unimportant and yet he distracts so much that the eye (mine at least) ends up looking at a no-man's-land in between him and the gull.

Real Name
    Myra

Great comments, thanks! The depth of field in all is right out of the camera. I like to have a bit of context in the photos so kept the man in the gull photo. The third one has turned out to be too sharpened. Knowing this version would be a web display, I've gone too heavy handed on the high pass filter, I'd say. For the first one, with the lighthouse, I was playing with DOF. I have a couple with the lighthouse in focus and the foreground not. The lighthouse is about 500m from where I was taking the shot. Allen, I'll post the other versions. Dave, happy you like them!

Miltos, you must have access to amazing ocean shots. Can't even imagine how blue the water must be off your coast. Tommy, I'd miss the water, too, if I lived too far from it.

I'm hoping to put a few of these on my walls to remind me of how happy that day made me feel. My daughter, who just started her third year of university, was with me that morning. It was lovely.

Real Name
    Myra

This is the same photo, just cropped differently. The shed to the right has been cropped from the first and the lobster traps from the second. Personally, I don't really like the first one as the traps look awkward. Other variations of a crop on that photo didn't work. No matter what, they were just big blurs. That's why I liked the lighthouse out of focus in the photo above. Of course, I never even thought to to use something over f/11 and have everything in focus. That's not something I do very often. The shed, though, was much closer to the lighthouse so was not as affected. It's interesting to play around with photos to see what can be achieved.

Prince Edward Island
    947Z3652 sig small other view by M.J. Hencher, on Flickr

Prince Edward Island
    947Z3652 sig sm by M.J. Hencher, on Flickr

Real Name
    Miltos

Quote Originally Posted by Maritimer1 View Post

Miltos, you must have access to amazing ocean shots. Can't even imagine how blue the water must be off your coast. Tommy, I'd miss the water, too, if I lived too far from it.
    Well Myra there are many places around the Mediterranean where the combination of limestone ground, shallow waters and high noon bright sun gives such the color to the sea you really want to drink it. Here is a recent photo from Aegina island and Aegina is not famous for its beaches!

I like the last image you posted by the way although I think it needed more space on the left.

Real Name
    Myra

Those are beautiful scenes, Miltos! That is the type of blue I imagined.

I totally agree that it would be nice to have space to the left of that photo, but that is where those blurry lobster traps sit

Real Name
    Terri

Myra, those are absolutely lovely. I especially like #2 & 3. I love the composition and the colors. Thank you for allowing us to see them!

Real Name
    Allen Conway

Myra, you were right to reject the one with the out of focus lobster pots, that's for sure! The one with the almost in focus shed would have been better, I think, with (almost) everything in focus, not just the shed - the whiteness of the lighthouse and the sky blueness of the sky would have dominated anyway.
    I hope to see photos of the island in less clement weather... goodbye stillness and quiet, hello sturm und drang !