Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Natural Tree artificial light.

Real Name
    Javier

Natural Tree artificial light.

Natural Tree artificial light.
    Nikon D3100 + 18-200mm at 18mm, Manual exposure, 25 sec, f/11, ISO 800

It has not been treated. C&C please
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 2nd September 2012 at 08:50 PM. Reason: added EXIF data

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Natural Tree artificial light.

Hi Javier, to be able to provide effective feedback it would be helpful to know what your goals are for this image.

Are you working on trying to improve the composition, lighting, shooting technique, realism, post processing, or perhaps some other aspect of the image?

Real Name
    Javier

I am practizing with long exposure and artificial litht and in this case was the composition by taking the picture from bottom to up capturing as much as I could with 18mm focus. I could not get the entire tree, I think, I should try with a different len, but I do not what size.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Javier, the building forms a solid base for the composition. The exposure and tonal range are very good, capturing most of the tree’s detail without blowing out any highlights. The image is fairly symmetrical so centering the tree in the frame works well.

I wouldn’t be too concerned about not being able to get the entire tree in the image. I feel you would lose more than you would gain by backing up and making the tree smaller. There is sufficient detail for folks to ‘fill in the blanks’ with their imagination.

If you were going to do any post processing, give a though to reducing the brightness of the white third floor to the left of the tree as it tends to pull attention away from the tree.

To me, you have succeeded in producing a very interesting an unusual composition that is well worth exploring.

Real Name
    Wayne

Judging by the data you provided, this must have been one calm night!
    I love the color contrast between the amber building and the ghostly (ghastly?) pale purple of the tree, which seems to be fixing to embrace the viewer. I'm not sure I trust that tree!

Great image!