Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: East Tennessee Historical Society Event

Real Name
    Cliff McCartney

East Tennessee Historical Society Event

Hi all,

I took these a couple of weeks ago at an event put on by the East Tennessee Historical Society. Nikon D7000, 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF G VR

ISO 100, f/6.3, 1/24, 66mm

ISO 100, f/6.3, 1/60, 70mm

ISO 100, f/6.3, 1/40, 75mm

ISO 100, f/6.3, 1/13, 50mm
    This one was hand-held at 1/13th. I love Nikon VR

C&C most welcome.

Thanks for viewing!

Cliff

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: East Tennessee Historical Society Event

Cliff

Good work. Thing to keep looking out for, though, are tree trunks branches in the background cutting through or across people.

Real Name
    Phil Page

Nice work, Cliff. The 18-105mm holds up well on the D7000 I see. There are lots of busy backgrounds which can't be helped, and the subjects might not be willing to pose for long, but I agree with Donald's feedback regarding branches etc.

I think the fill flash on the last shot helped a little more than the VR at 1/13th

Real Name
    Cliff McCartney

Thanks Donald and Phil for the feedback. I'll try harder on that next time. I was in amongst a crowd of folks, and I didn't really have much of a chance to move myself (or the subjects) for a better shot.

There was actually a white tarp cutting right into the left side of the man's face in shot #3, but I took it out in PP.

Live and learn

<sheepish grin> Phil - you're right about the fill flash. I said that to myself as soon as I posted, but didn't edit out. I hope dumb comments are occasionally tolerated.

Thanks again!

Cliff

Real Name
    Phil Page

It's not a dumb comment at all! VR no doubt helped with reducing any motion blur, but the fill flash nailed it

Very nice images! I like the last two the most. I like CW History and my second hobby is metal detecting CW relics only with permission of the property owners of course, it's the only way for me. I have been as far a Greenville, Tn to hunt with a friend. Although coin and jewelry take up most of the hobby time, and now it is shared with photography.

Real Name
    Richard

Some of my ancestors settled in East Tennessee (McMinn County) at the beginning of the 19th Century and I still have some shirtail cousins living in the area. Most of my kin fought in the Third (Lilliard's) Tennessee Mounted Infantry during "THE WAR"; as some of them still call it. I would love to have attended this historical society event!

I love head and shoulders portraits of people at events like this. I always keep an eye out for areas of the background that interfere with my subjects. Sometimes, however, I just need to bite the bullet and try to eliminate the BG with selective focus. That is why I enjoy shooting with longer focal lengths...