Thread: Moon shot at last

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Moon shot at last

Thanks to Ray for sharing this link: http://www.openphotographicsociety.o...ors&Itemid=109 . I finally have a moon shot that doesn't look like a sun. 400 ISO, F: 16 and 1/25. C&C always appreciated.Moon shot at last

Re: Moon shot at last

I was going to say: "Oh, that's upside down" but then I noticed that you're in Australia (I'm in Canada).

Looks great!

Real Name
    Phil Page

Good effort, Wayne. Shooting the moon is very counter-intuitive.

I'd aim for a faster shutter speed though as you're shooting something that is moving quite fast, and it looks a little over exposed.

Seeing as there's not a lot else in the shot, maybe shooting at f8 for optimal sharpness would be better - depth of field isn't an issue, after all. Then you'd have a shutter speed for the same exposure as this shot of 1/100th at ISO400. You may be in a better ballpark for a sharper shot then. After that, try shooting at 1/160th or around there and the 2/3rds stop under exposure from your base image that you've posted may bring out a little more detail.

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Quote Originally Posted by dubaiphil View Post
    Good effort, Wayne. Shooting the moon is very counter-intuitive.

I'd aim for a faster shutter speed though as you're shooting something that is moving quite fast, and it looks a little over exposed.

Seeing as there's not a lot else in the shot, maybe shooting at f8 for optimal sharpness would be better - depth of field isn't an issue, after all. Then you'd have a shutter speed for the same exposure as this shot of 1/100th at ISO400. You may be in a better ballpark for a sharper shot then. After that, try shooting at 1/160th or around there and the 2/3rds stop under exposure from your base image that you've posted may bring out a little more detail.
    Thanks Phil, now that I have a starting point, I will certainly look to get better at it. Will try your suggestions next chance.

Real Name
    Phil Page

Just try all sorts of exposures during the one shoot and see what works best.

Found you Mr Turner. Nice shot..