Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Indoor Volleyball

Real Name
    Cliff McCartney

Indoor Volleyball

Hi folks,

More playing around with high ISO values. I took these at a recent volleyball match at Johnson University.

Nikon D7000, Nikon 85mm f/1.4G AF-S. All at f/2.8, manual exposure, ISO 1600, 1/640 sec, center focus, AF-C. Set it to continuous-high and just shot away.

Indoor Volleyball

Indoor Volleyball

Indoor Volleyball

Adjusted WB and reduced noise with DFine 2.0 from Nik Software. No other significant PP.

C&C very welcome. Thanks for viewing!

Cliff

Re: Indoor Volleyball

The first one has everything, Cliff. Although I would crop very slightly at the top, and left side, to remove those pictures on the wall. Or clone them out.

With the second, there is little of interest on the right so I would try a crop to concentrate more on the real action. Maybe something around 5 x 4 ratio.

The last one has plenty of action, but a pity that you didn't pull back a little to show slightly more on the left side. Just another 5% would have produced a perfect shot.

Real Name
    Cliff McCartney

Thanks for the feedback Geoff. Unfortunately, there's nothing I can do about the third shot. I do see what you mean, though.

Here's the re-cropped first and second shots:

Indoor Volleyball

Indoor Volleyball

Thanks again!

Cliff

Real Name
    Victor Nimitz

Hi Cliff,

The timing of the 1st shot is awesome.

#4 on the attack, 3 and the girl blocking.
    #2&1 on the ready.
    #18 rushing over to defend.
    The sideline guys with bated breath
    Last edited by nimitzbenedicto; 1st September 2012 at 06:32 AM.

Real Name
    Raul or Gabriel

Amazing photos. You must have a great skill in sports. I like sports photography but Im having a hard time with it.

Looks like you have changed the original first two shots for the same crop as the re edits, Cliff.

Not sure if that was intentional or another of those internet mysteries?

Real Name
    Cliff McCartney

Geoff - I think I'll say "Internet mystery - sort of." I went back into PS and cropped the pictures and re-posted them to my SmugMug page, then grabbed a link to them and posted here. Since the link is the same one as the original, I guess it shows up there too.

Should I have done that a different way?

Real Name
    Richard

IMO. indoor volleyball is one of the most difficult sports venues. You have captured it quite well...

Since you were shooting at f/2.8, I am wondering is how well the flexibility of the (admittedly heavier and more expensive) 70-200mm f/2.8 (series) zoom lenses might have woked to allow flexibility in framing....

That can be the trouble with linking, Cliff, unless you use different titles etc. Anyway, everything back to the starting point now - so it will still make sense to anyone seeing this thread for the first time.

Real Name
    Cliff McCartney

Thanks for fixing that Geoff.

Richard - I rented the 85mm from BorrowLenses to see how I liked it before I go out and get one (they are a bit pricey). I think it worked well for me, but (obviously) I wasn't used to it, so I missed some opportunities.

I intend to rent a 70-200 in a couple of weeks. I want to shoot another volleyball match, and I'm going to do Scott Kelby's Worldwide Photo Walk in Gatlinburg, Tennessee. I look forward to using it for volleyball, and I hope I can take advantage of it.

I appreciate your comments!

Cliff

Real Name
    Richard

Cliff...
    Have you considered the Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G? I am not a Nikon guy but, I have read some pretty nice reviews of the 85mm f/1.8G and that lens is 1/3 the price of the f/1.4G!

I know that I would rather use the Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 for indoor sports than the, over five times as expensive, 85mm f/1.2L because the f/1.8 has faster focus than the f/1.2L...