Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A pair of performing portraits snapped on the tube. C&C

Real Name
    Richard Healy

A pair of performing portraits snapped on the tube. C&C

I still reckon my cousin Jo and nephew is my favourite portrait, but on a recent trip to London to go see an exhibit of Leonardo Da Vinci's anatomical sketches, on my ride back to Liverpool street we were joined and serenaded by this pair.

Both have been PP'd until they cried "uncle" so let me know what you think.

A pair of performing portraits snapped on the tube.  C&C

A pair of performing portraits snapped on the tube.  C&C

Real Name
    Phil Page

Re: A pair of performing portraits snapped on the tube. C&C

The woman sat opposite you and looking at the busker makes the first shot. Perhaps a crop to 8x10 or 7x5 vertically to remove her hand from the bottom left of the frame would balance the shot a little better

Real Name
    Richard Healy

Quote Originally Posted by dubaiphil View Post
    The woman sat opposite you and looking at the busker makes the first shot. Perhaps a crop to 8x10 or 7x5 vertically to remove her hand from the bottom left of the frame would balance the shot a little better

Yes I agree, at first I thought of removing her form the shot, but then changed my mind. I have cropped images, but never before with dimensions for reproduction in mind. It was recently on seeing a youtube channel where I saw someone cop an image and discussed how it would be printed this way or that, which first clued me into this consideration. Until now I've only ever composed a crop based on what I was going to keep or loose within an image.

About the hand you are I think correct I will make this edit when next I update.

Any comments about the violinist?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Healy View Post
    Any comments about the violinist?
    I think that, too, is a very good 'social documentary'/street photography-type image. The angled presentation injects dynamism and energy that works well for the subject.

I think it's a good piece of work.
    Last edited by Donald; 30th August 2012 at 07:10 PM.

Real Name
    Richard Healy

Thanks Donald. I completely agree about the angle. There was something about it that just worked better when skewed (her partner on the other hand; he's a straight-up kinda guy on account of all those vertical hand rails!)

I was a little annoyed at myself for not getting the moment a fraction of a second earlier when she had the violin tucked under her chin and playing it - ah but cest la vie. -

I did a lot of work on this one to correct the lighting, which was very dark. I've also pulled her out by using Topaz Labs to do a very detailed mask around her and the instrument and then blurred out the background. I've also applied a vignette to draw the eye into the centre and did some selective sharpening / high pass filter and worked on the contrast and highlights.