Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Lens Choices

Real Name
    Bill

Lens Choices

My friend and I have recently started a 24 week online course for photography. And in the first part, they talked about the different types of Lenses and a little bit on what sort of shoots they are good for. Which ended up being our assignment, choosing which lens for what scenario.

So what my question would be, is there a website or online information that would give an idea of what lens is good in what situation. Be it landscape, architectural, model shoots, night shots, you name it. I hope thats enough info. Let me know if you want more and I will try my best.

Thanks

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Lens Choices

To be honest, I think the first rule in lens selection is "there are no rules" ... you'll hear people say that you need wide angle for landscape, but I've shot medium-telephoto landscape with great results. You'll hear people say you need something in the medium telephoto range for portraiture - and yet I've seen great portraiture with a wide-angle lens. I think even the other day we had a great butterfly shot with a 400mm lens!

Probably the best thing to learn is how the different focal lengths affect the relative size of foreground -v- background objects so you can choose whatever length you need for the effect that your after.
    Last edited by McQ; 2nd September 2009 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Probably the best thing to learn is how the different focal lengths affect the relative size of foreground -v- background objects so you can choose whatever length you need for the effect that your after.
    Couldn't have put it better. I have used a 105mm macro lens for some very nice portraits, and even landscapes. I use my Sigma 70-200 for close-up flower shots. I've seen some great portraits using a 10-20 Sigma, which distorts everything.

Probably the most important thing to consider is that there are an awful lot of photographers out there with the same type of gear. One of the ways to get different results is to use lenses more creatively. If it works then it works!

Real Name
    Bill

Nice, thanks for the info from both of ya. It will help

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Doughboy View Post
    Nice, thanks for the info from both of ya. It will help
    No worries. Worst case scenario we'll get a new member in the form of your tutor who might sign up to argue with us

Real Name
    Richard

Rules on lens use!

Are there STRICT rules regarding the use of lenses - NO! You can shoot whatever image you desire with whatever lens you desire to use and the "Focal Length Police" won't arrest you!

However are there guidelines which have evolved over the years photographers have been using lenses? CERTAINLY!

Should you become familiar with these guidelines as you learn the craft/art of photography? CERTAINLY!

Are there websites which will help you understand the use of lenses? HECK YES, hundreds or thousands of them. However remember, just because something is published on the Internet - it is not necessarily true!

The choice of a lens when shooting an image is based partly on the objective laws of physics and partly on the subjective artistic choices of the photographer and, of course, the selection of a lens is based on the ability or desire of the photographer to afford the prie of that lens.

Here just is a surface scratch of the information waiting out there. Use Google to help you search as soon as you get familiar with lens terminology:

Photo.net Lens Tutorial
    http://photo.net/learn/optics/lensTutorial

Understanding Camera Lenses
    https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tu...era-lenses.htm

Picture Correct
    http://www.picturecorrect.com/photog...ypes_kinds.htm

Photo Equipment Reviews (Lenses)
    http://wlcastleman.com/equip/reviews/

Focal Length Comparisons
    This will give you a visual idea of the effect of focal length on your imagery. However the visuals are set up for full frame cameras.
    http://www.usa.canon.com/app/html/EF...al_length.html

Another focal length comparison web site
    http://www.juzaphoto.com/eng/article...omparisons.htm

The-Digital-Picture.com Canon Lens Reviews
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...s-Reviews.aspx

Photodo Lens Site
    http://www.photodo.com/
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 26th August 2009 at 03:05 PM.

Real Name
    Steaphany

The Tamron web site also has a

Focal Length Comparison Tool

This will visually allow you to see the effect of focal length has on the image.

Real Name
    Bill

Thanks RPCROWE

i think guidelines is what I was aiming for more .

i just start a beginner photography class in college and the text that we are using is Black and White photography A basic manual (third edition by Henry Horenstein) and i would say its great, it break down everything from A to Z....

Real Name
    Bill

Whats the name of the book ?

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Doughboy View Post
    Whats the name of the book ?
    I could be wrong, but I think he might be talking about "Black and White photography A basic manual (third edition by Henry Horenstein)"

Real Name
    Bill

My bad, guess i am more tired then i thought and waht i read didn'y properly form in my brain

Agrees with Colin and everyone here. But everyone is also forgetting the most important factor about lenses. It's called "What's in your wallet". Doughboy, you can read all the stats and articles you want, but I recommend that you rent lenses that you're interested in. Shoot them from every angle and perspective before making a decision in buying. It's true that most photographers will have pretty much the same focal lengths/gear, only you can decide on what works for you and your budget.

Good lenses are good investments which will last you the life of your photography days.
    Last edited by Amberglass; 31st August 2009 at 06:09 PM. Reason: correction

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Amberglass View Post
    I recommend that you rent lenses that you're interested in. Shoot them from every angle and perspective before making a decision in buying.
    Couldn't agree more with this in light of my recent experiences