Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: shift tilt through lightroo 4

Real Name
    Malcolm Collins

shift tilt through lightroo 4

Hi all,
    I am going overseas early next year mainly Moscow,Prague,and Venice.Scandinavia
    They have some magnificent buildings in Moscow,so beautiful in there colour,and there onion domes,which I hope to photograph.
    I don't possess a shift tilt lens,and would like to know if I take shots with plenty of space around them,could I use lens correction in l/r 4 to straighten buildings.
    Has anyone had success with Lightroom 4 in this field.
    Thanks in anticipation, Mal

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: shift tilt through lightroo 4

Mal I've used manual lens correction for perspective correction in LR4 and ACR (which have the same "engine") and found it works quite well. It's a convenient place to do any rotational adjustment as well. It's also non-destructive. The key I think is as you say - leave plenty of room around the shot - particularly at the top (something which I don't always do adequately !).

Dave

Real Name
    Allan Short

Malcolm: you might want to consider a wide angle lens, I use the Sigma 10-20mm on my D7000. I shoot a lot of pans, portrait as apposed to landscape. With some practice a 2 or 3 shot pan will work, stitched together and with some pp transformation or even in LR4 (I use CS6) as stated above so not sure about LR4 however, that said Dave does some real nice work.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I ususally do major surgery in Photoshop rather than Lightroom. When I saw your question, I went back and tried it in Lightroom and found that to a certain extent it can be done. Having said that, the full-blown Photoshop (I use CS6) is far better for it as it allows for much finer independent adjustments over a broader range of distortion.