Thread: Brown Snake Eagle - C&C welcome

Real Name
    Dave

Brown Snake Eagle - C&C welcome

Hi,

I posted this image a few weeks ago in a mini competition, partly trying to find out what images appeal. It didn't win many votes! However, I think it's a really nice image, and I'd welcome feedback. I was trying to contrast the stark dead tree and the very alive bird, and the contrast between the sharp bill and eye, and the softer feathers. The pose was lucky - not being able to see the perch shows the full length of the bird. Could the image be improved?

Real Name
    Orlando

Re: Brown Snake Eagle - C&C welcome

Don't get too hung up on the votes. This is a good shot. You were probably either against a great group of photo's or another photo was just too affective to compete. I like this shot myself and I can only find minor adjustments. So here goes why I think people may not have found it vote worthy:
    There's nothing in the foreground. Clouds, trees etc. This just may be of circumstances when you shot it.
    The bottom tail feathers could use some lighting.
    And the last, the eyes. I'm looking at this with a monitor from work so, it's not the best for viewing photos. But it doesn't appear tack sharp. It's close but I think it should be sharper. Maybe others can dispute this one.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Dave

I would very much support what Orlando says. Mini Comps were created as a bit of fun and, yes, they do give some sense of how those who participate in voting assess images. But they are not a source of assessment and analysis. The number of votes in a Mini Comp should not be taken as a substitute for constructive criticism and commentary in an image.

Could this be improved? Well, I'm no wildlife photographer, but you've got this wonderfully sharp and I think the idea of the bird on that old, dead limb of a tree is very good.

You're also right in that we should have the bird looking into space (i.e. less behind it and more in front). But in this case and because you have that limb of the tree, I wonder if it might have strengthened the image to have composed it so that the bird's eye was not on (or almost on) the centre line. I haven't measured it precisely, but draw a vertical line up the centre and I think the bird's eye is on that. I'm not sure that's the best place for it.

If it was off centre and slightly to our left, it would still leave enough space between it and the edge of the frame, but break up that unnatural symmetry that, arguably, having it on the centre line creates.

Is this the frame as out-of-camera or is there a crop involved, so that you could maybe try a re-worked version?

Real Name
    David

That's a great shot, Dave. I am not pro, just a hobbyist who's trying to learn more, too. Keep posting in the mini comps..and don't get discouraged. Thanks for sharing the photo.

Real Name
    Dave

Thanks very much for the feedback.

Is this the frame as out-of-camera or is there a crop involved, so that you could maybe try a re-worked version?
    Sadly, I don't have a lens that could have given this out of camera (was taken at 300mm on a 600D). This is a low quality version of the out of camera shot, so I will try re-cropping. I did think about another image with both branches of the tree providing a kind of architecture and the bird off to one side. I couldn't make it work, though.

Real Name
    Andre Burger

Hi Dave,
    I think this is a great image.
    From the EXIF the only advice I would have is: if the Aperture was a little smaller like F9-F11 the sharpness might have been a little better. The only reason I say this is because I have found an aperture between f9 and F11 seems to be where the lenses are at optimal quality. You still had a lot of Shutter speed to play with. Don’t know if you used a tripod. With the 300mm lens you used, I would definitely have used a tripod.

I can really appreciate this shot. It is good IMO.

Keep shooting.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

For that heavy a crop, the clarity of the main image is pretty impressive.

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

I'll throw in my two cents worth but will not repeat what Orland stated. The tree blocks the bird's back. I had to actually look close to see that bird was not misshaped, and the other object was a tree. I don't think there is anything you could have done about that unless you could have repositioned yourself, and of course, the hawk would have been long gone. For some reason, it is much easier to see the bird is behind the tree in the second image. I think you did well and were fortunate get the shot you did.

Real Name
    Dave

if the Aperture was a little smaller like F9-F11 the sharpness might have been a little better.
    Thanks, Andre, that's a good point and one that I hadn't thought of. In practice I was hand holding out of the back of a Land Cruiser (so neither a tripod or even a monopod would have been practical). I was mostly worries about camera shake, but I could certainly have pushed the ISO up a bit and reduced the aperture. Something to keep in mind next time.

the clarity of the main image is pretty impressive
    With thanks to Mr Canon, Mr Tamron and a nod to Mr Adobe. Thanks Donald

Real Name
    Dave

I'e had a go at re-cropping as Donald suggested (I've also had to re-PP so it does look a little different). I think he is right - teh composition is better. Any other views? The original post is at the top, and the re-crop below it.

Thanks, Donald!!!

Real Name
    Bobo

The re-crop/pp does work pretty well. Even the one claw is nicely visible.