wm c boyer

Some white birds

C&C is appreciated...new poster to this site...don't be gentle

Some white birds

Some white birds

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Re: Some white birds

Hey Chauncey, not my position to usurp the prerogative of the Moderators in so doing, but, from me, welcome to CIC. It is a great site with lots of great people who are very gentle with their advice, help and encouragement. Except for me of course, me being a grumpy old snorter from way back!
    Really like #1. Nice colours and brokeh. The reflection is well caught. For me a nice sharp image with pleasing light effect. I also like the line of the shot which is straight on rather than the usual from overhead of the subject. As a suggestion, do you think a bit of a crop down the RHS might help?
    Cheers
    Ken

As Ken said, Chauncey, we are always gentle here. Honest when asked for serious opinions but always with a smile.

With #1, I assume that you are working to strict thirds. Personally, I usually regard wildlife more as a portrait so arrange things accordingly; but that is just personal taste. So like Ken mentioned, I would consider cropping to a different size ratio.

At the moment, I'm struggling to see the fish in it's beak and I would regard that unusual event as being worth more attention.

While the second image is a more general shot it is also full of interesting little details. I particularly like how the left hand cygnet is holding up a piece of reed.

Focus and exposure, etc, are excellent.

Real Name
    Orlando

Hi Chauncey,

These are nice photos and I really like the first one. In my opinion, they are both too contrasty (yes i made up that word). I would lower the contrast and possibly lighten the shadows (probably in reverse order!). The water on the second photo looks too dark for my taste. I would also move the swans either lower or higher up the frame a bit on the second photo.