Thread: After sunset

After sunset

My first attemp at posting here, C&C welcome!

This was shot well after sunset with a 1-sec exposure.

After sunset

Real Name
    Andy

Re: After sunset

Hi Irina,
    Nice colours, I like the way they are replicated on the crest of the wave, composition with the statue is spot on. the small cloud adds to the shot. nice capture of the wave breaking on the foreshore. Very daring using a longer exposure, but just shows what our 550d will do !
    Andy

Real Name
    Terri

I agree with Andy. This is a very pretty shot with nice colors. Hope to see more from you.

Thanks for your replies!

Andy - this is not actually a statue, this was a person who was standing very still for some reason... I took several shots of his silhouette with long exposure.

Irina

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I think this is a very well captured and composed image.

What I do wonder about is that, in post processing, whether the detail in the sea could be brought out a bit more by using 'dodging' techniques? In particular, I wondered about lightning up the front edge opf that breaking wave that is coming in? I thought that this might life that area of the image a bit. At the moment it's maybe a bit dull and flat. The sky and the figure are excellent.

Hi Donald,
    Thanks a lot for your reply! I tried a little bit of dodging, the problem here is that because of the long exposure the sea is pretty noisy. Anyway, the idea of dodging hadn't occured to me before, so I'll keep in in mind for the future.

After sunset