Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Juvinile Red Shouldered Hawk - feeding

Real Name
    Rollin E. Drew

Juvinile Red Shouldered Hawk - feeding

Canon 1D Mark IIn, Sigma 50-500mm at 500mm, 1/160 @ f18 Juvinile Red Shouldered Hawk - feeding

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Re: Juvinile Red Shouldered Hawk - feeding

You achieved good lighting on the hawk. Yes, its face is a little dark, but quite clear. I don't even mind the white sky, as there are enough details in the bird to hold my attention. Did you use a flash?

Real Name
    Bruce

Rollin, this was presumably a tripod shot since you were at 1/160 at 500mm? Did the hawk stay in this location for a chunk of time or were you simply well prepared with a monopod maybe in your hand?

Real Name
    Rollin E. Drew

Ken, I agree that the background sky is bright. I can mask it and make it darker but it seems to then look unnatural. I can dodge the face a little which would help. Yes, I did use flash, Canon 580EX set at -1/3 elevated about five inches over the lens on my Wimberley. It is rare that I do not use flash for birds even if out of range. One of the benefits of Evaluative Through The Lens (E-TTL) is that if one is judicious in its use as a fill flash it will in most cases enhance the color and resolution but still look natural. However I feel that to much luminance of flash is worse than no flash. Most of the time with birds and wildlife I adjust the flash from -1/3 to -2/3.

Real Name
    Scott

Seriously! 500mm on a 1.6x crop body at just 1/160th is impressive considering how sharp this is. Nice shot.

Real Name
    Rollin E. Drew

This hawk, though wild, was being fed by some neighbors who invited me over to photograph it, so it stuck around until it had its crop full. I took about 35 photographs of the bird. I was using a tripod for this particular image but I also took some hand held.