Thread: St. Mary's Parish Church

Real Name
    Philip

St. Mary's Parish Church

This was the scene a few days ago at Amersham Church, Buckinghamshire, in the late afternoon. Sorry about the bottom of the brick wall - I do not have a wider lens, I was as far back as I could go against the wall of the building behind me, and I didn't want to cut off the top of the tower. Still, I like the composition, lighting, and dramatic sky - but C&C always welcome.

St. Mary's Parish Church

Philip

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: St. Mary's Parish Church

Nice colour and detail rendition, particularly in the brick and sky. As you pointed out, the scene is a bit cramped in the frame owing to not being able to backup any further.

In a situation like this a Panorama Image can overcome the issue. If you want to try it, lock the settings down in Manual Mode, rotate the camera to portrait view, then snap two images, a left and right with about 25% overlap in the two and stitch the two images together in post processing into a panorama.

When shooting the two (or more if you like) images, it is best to have the camera on a tripod so that you can rotate the shooting angle horizontally without tilting up or down.

Hope this helps!

Real Name
    Philip

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    In a situation like this a Panorama Image can overcome the issue. If you want to try it, lock the settings down in Manual Mode, rotate the camera to portrait view, then snap two images, a left and right with about 25% overlap in the two and stitch the two images together in post processing into a panorama.
    Hope this helps!
    That is a real gem, Frank - I don't think the idea of shooting with the camera in portrait orientation to make a stitched landscape oriented image would ever have occurred to me! Thank you very much for your help.

Philip

nice one Philip!
    did you tone map the scene or captured an HDR?
    thanks
    N

Real Name
    Philip

Thank you, Nicola. First the perspective was adjusted to correct converging verticals. Then the shadows were lifted using the Fill Light tool. Then the effect you allude to is probably the result of the next adjustment - local contrast enhancement to bring out the detail and textures.

Philip

thank you Philip for the feedback

hope you don't mind
    but perhaps i would like more a version with shadows less lighten up with ACR tool... just a bit.
    obviously, it is only my taste and i could be wrong, at least due to my monitor performance.
    anyway a nice picture
    cheers
    n

Real Name
    Philip

Don't mind at all, Nicola. Images are posted here on CiC to promote the sharing of views, ideas and suggestions with other members - a valuable and principal feature of this "learning community".

Philip

Real Name
    Miltos

We usually struggle for dramatic or just interesting skies in our pictures and you really did well here Philip.

Actually my only objection is that in your image the sky is way to interesting that distracts from your main subject! Perhaps a little reduction of the saturation of the blue could help.

Real Name
    Philip

Yes, I can see what you mean, Miltos, it was a rare and amazing sky! Thank you for your comments.

Philip