Thread: Mule Deer

Real Name
    Terri

Mule Deer

Several deer pics lately so I thought I'd share these. We have so many trees that it's hard to get a clear shot of these deer. Add the lighting issues and waiting for a good pose and I'm rarely successful. I rather like this first one except that I'd prefer more space in front of him. I cropped out a large fuzzy Aspen in the left foreground. The second one has obvious lighting issues.

Mule Deer

Mule Deer

Real Name
    Clive

Re: Mule Deer

Terri don't be too hard on yourself you have some good images there, #1 has good detail and environment and the lack of space doesn't really bother me. #2 "lighting issues" aside it still has a good composition. Patience will be rewarded - keep shooting.

Real Name
    Bobo

I like both with a bit of preference for 1 though I do like the pose in 2.

Not sure of the outcome but try a bit of additional contrast and sharpening.

Real Name
    mehere

I agree with Bobo in terms of preference but I think the second is largely recoverable. (If you already know what I am describing then I apologise) Firstly duplicate the layer. Then darken the top layer and tweek the contrast to get the best out of the overbright back area. Then using a layer mask merge the darkened area with the original foreground. Flatten. The again duplicate the layer and sharpen. Then using a layer mask layer in the sharpened foreground, and midground so that they pop out more against the blurred background. Hope this helps

Peter

Real Name
    Terri

Thank you Clive, Bobo and Peter for your encouraging and helpful comments.

Peter, thanks for the detailed instructions. I will see if I can figure out how to accomplish this. It will be great practice for me in my continued exploration of Photoshop Elements. I'll post my results later.