Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Moody seascape and mountains

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Moody seascape and mountains

Captured in British Columbia on color slide film in 2003 and recently converted to monochrome. C&C encouraged, as always.

Do NOT ever do what I did to take this picture. The best vantage point was to stand on train tracks. If a train was coming, I assumed that it would be easy to feel the vibration in the tracks and to hear the rumble. Wrong assumption! I learned of the train when it rounded a corner and blew its horn to alert me. My wife was terrified when she saw me from a distance awkwardly jumping off the train tracks.

Moody seascape and mountains

Real Name
    Dave

Re: Moody seascape and mountains

Great image, Mike - too bad it was nearly your epitaph. Trust you would have tossed the camera to your wife to save the image for future generations.

Seriously though, it is the boat that really makes the image for me. It's stands out as real while the mountains fade to mist.

(I really must try some of my images in B&W to get a feel for what works.)

Real Name
    Terri

I was drawn to how nice a sharp the ship is in contrast to the misty mountains. I like it!

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Nice shot Mike, ditto to what Terri said.

Dave

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Thanks, everyone!

I agree that the scene would be nothing without the boat. That's exactly why I took the trouble to stand on the train tracks. Otherwise, I wouldn't have been able to achieve this composition.

However, notice that part of the interesting mood in the background happens because of stuff (hopefully only steam) rising from a factory. The large swath of mist that provides such great atmosphere is not low lying clouds. It's whatever has dissipated from the far right smokestack or whatever it should be called in the town.

Quote Originally Posted by davidedric View Post
    too bad it was nearly your epitaph.
    Far better to be nearly my epitaph than to be my epitaph. By the way, when my wife saw this image on the computer just now, she immediately commented that I almost died taking it. Probably a little bit of an exaggeration, but not by a lot.

Real Name
    Kevin

Very nice shot, Mike!
    Looks really cold. Scary how the world shrinks down to the irrelevance of anything not being seen through the viewfinder- I almost fell out of a helicopter doing the same thing. Difference is, my shot wasn't even a keeper. Well done

Kevin