Thread: The Calf (HDR)

Real Name
    mehere

The Calf (HDR)

As a long time HDR fan I have spent much of my time avoiding all those things that move so I never thought of animals as a suitable subject. But lately, particularly with the new deghosting process in Photomatix I have really got involved in the challenge of animal HDR. It means that I might take several hundred shots to get a bracket of three but I think the results can be worthwhile. This is a three bracket shot at -2, 0, +2. I would appreciate all and any comments. I would also be interested in HDR work with animals that others have done. My thanks in advance for any feedback.

Peter

The Calf (HDR)

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Re: The Calf (HDR)

Hi Peter
    Sticking my neck right out, I have in the past taken quite a few HDR shots of animals; back when HDR and I were having a whirlwind love affair. But... don't you just hate it when there is an added 'but? ' It can be a real pain in the butt!... I found that the only times I had much joy with HDR was when the animals were relatively still, ghosting correction filters notwithstanding. But even more to the point, the existing conditions were usually such that HDR was not really needed; and in some ways could result in lesser quality pp outcomes. And I guess part of my disenchantment in these situations is that I have come to believe that the best animal shots I have seen, and some I have been lucky enough to capture, are total 'action' shots where the animals are well and truly interacting with their environment and expressing their personalities.
    Now, before the skies open and a host of vengeful HDR enthusiasts do a tap dance on my head, I fully admit HDR definitely has a place in one's skill bag. Certainly in mine. What I quibble about is that it is used when nothing else will do and it is not used purely for its own sake alone, because one can and has a copy of Photomatrix or some such. Having said all that, I am now off to make sure my Health Insurance is current, just in case.
    To end up. Great shot, well captured Peter. Small nit pick. Is it a constructional outcome of the pen or is the framing tilted slightly to the left? The more I look at it the more I reckon it is typical bush carpentry; sort of stuff I do here at home! Works well, does the job, but not always pretty!
    Cheers
    Ken

Real Name
    mehere

Ken its a pleasure to read an intelligent response and though there is, of course, the temptation as a Queenslander to add the usual 'Southerner' scoff, as a long time resident of Warrnambool in the lovely Western district I shall resist the temptation. Actually I think I really agree with you. The greatest joy I get is spending the winter months out once a week photographing migrating humpback whales where there never can be, nor should be any HDR. There is no greater thrill for me than to nail the shot of a breaching humback 20 metres from the boat. But I am still fascinated by the possibilities that HDR can bring to a studied composed shot. And the only way to really find out is to take a few hundred and see where it leads. (Ah the joys of retirement, too much time on my hands) So sleep well tonight, I will ensure that the HDR mafia will not descend upon your person. And yes its a bit of bush carpentry, in fact the thing that really attracted me was the cattleyard, the calf just happened to be there. Hope to speak again and here's an example of what makes my heart pound. Not the greatest pic but I love it.

Peter

The Calf (HDR)

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by conkerwood View Post
    .... I have really got involved in the challenge of animal HDR.
    Must admit I would have never thought about that. Just shows the value of a forum such as this - You get introduced to new ideas and new ways of thinking about and doing things. And this works. It really brings out the texture of both the calf's coat and the timbers. Not overcooked, which is what, for me, kills so many images we see that are the result of using HDR techniques.

But the whale. Well, if that doesn't get the blood racing and the heart pounding, you'd have to be dead. I'd sell my soul to have the opportunity to be 20 metres away from that, never mind with a camera to my eye. One of the earth's most beautiful sights.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

I am with you and Donald. Anyone whose heart does not quicken in response to seeing this magnificent humpback shot of yours is obviously due to become an instant short term resident at Les Pines. ( translation for those OS and not in the know, Les Pines runs a large chain of funeral palours , catering to dead beats )
    Peter, so glad that our shared love of photography has allowed us to show respect for each other and not to degenerate to the grubby level of exchanged insults usual between 'Banana Benders' and 'Southern Mexicans!'
    I look forward to enjoying more of your work.

Real Name
    Gretchen

I have to admit, even growing up in the Midwest, I've never found cows especially cute or majestic. This guy tho . .the way you captured him --with his bangs and ears, he is cute. Of course, he is also clean! And the whale --oh my! The pics are so clear and well composed!

Thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    mehere

Thanks to all for your thoughts. I am off whale watching again tomorrow and can't wait to see what pops up. Anything spectacular i will post

Peter

Real Name
    Bobo

One lucky dude! Hope you get lots of great shots and share here.

Quote Originally Posted by conkerwood View Post
    Thanks to all for your thoughts. I am off whale watching again tomorrow and can't wait to see what pops up. Anything spectacular i will post

Peter

Real Name
    David

Great shot...HDR or not. The detail and color are exceptional. Thanks for sharing, Peter.