Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: B&W Landscape, thoughts please

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

B&W Landscape, thoughts please

I thought this landscape of the Pentecost River with the ranges in the background may make a good B&W. Any C&C would be appreciated.
    B&W Landscape, thoughts please

Real Name
    Mark

Re: B&W Landscape, thoughts please

I think its a nice scene but the background looks a bit soft compared to the rocks in the foreground. The trees in the river are lost in the background but I'm not sure you could do anything about that.

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Quote Originally Posted by whited3 View Post
    I think its a nice scene but the background looks a bit soft compared to the rocks in the foreground. The trees in the river are lost in the background but I'm not sure you could do anything about that.
    thanks Mark, it does have a very strong foreground. I thought it might make a good canvas in B&W but I'm in two minds.

Real Name
    Jim

I'm guessing this area doesn't get white fluffy clouds very often, but I sure wish there were some in this shot. Also, if you could increase the contrast some, particularly in the mid-ground vegitation, it would show better. Have you tried some filters on this shot? Try some red or orange for starters.

For me, Wayne, there is a good strong sharp foreground but in B&W those trees along the water edge just become a confusing blur. Probably looks good in colour though.

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    For me, Wayne, there is a good strong sharp foreground but in B&W those trees along the water edge just become a confusing blur. Probably looks good in colour though.
    Thanks Geoff, yes I did put some focus on the foreground to highlight the rugged terrain, but the colour version does distinguish the trees in the river from the rest of the picture. I do like the colour version but thought this might be good in B&W.

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Quote Originally Posted by Designer View Post
    I'm guessing this area doesn't get white fluffy clouds very often, but I sure wish there were some in this shot. Also, if you could increase the contrast some, particularly in the mid-ground vegitation, it would show better. Have you tried some filters on this shot? Try some red or orange for starters.
    Thanks Jim, I didnt take this with B&W in mind but it is a good idea to take an extra shot with a red or orange filter. I will keep that in mind next time as I generally take colour photos but would like to try some B&W. I did increase the contrast but that just highlighted the rocks in the foreground more.