Thread: Stacked bricks

Real Name
    Erik

Stacked bricks

I was out looking for rectangles for a little photography project.
    I came across the below image in the backyard and felt it strong enough to share.
    I am not yet convinced by the saturation of colors yet. Please feel free to play with it and your C&C is always welcome.

Stacked bricks

Thanks

Real Name
    randy

Re: Stacked bricks

It may sound a little wacked, but I think a vignette around the edges might kinda cool

Real Name
    Gretchen

Well, I don't think this is what you meant, but I playedStacked bricks

Honestly, I think all the bricks need is lighting --with the "render" filter on Photoshop. It just makes them a bit more interesting and shows perspective. And a Frame, of course. Inverting them to blue got me going on a tangent as you can see, but doing so often gives an idea of where the lighting is off. Which is why I originally inverted then.

Real Name
    Erik

Nice work Gretchen.

Real Name
    randy

Quote Originally Posted by cichlid View Post
    Nice work Gretchen.
    This is way cool

Real Name
    Gretchen

Thanks everyone. I need to stop letting myself go off in these tangents. I really want to get better at actual photography. I love gridwork and repeating patterns, so the bricks were hard to resist. . . .

Real Name
    Philip

Erik, I enjoyed having a little play with your image, although the result can't match the "cool" of Gretchen's work! When I first saw the original, my reaction was - it's a pile of bricks. So after increasing contrast and saturation, I converted it to B&W using a cyan filter. OK, it had textures, but it was now a monochrome pile of bricks. So I created a black background, dropped the bricks on top, then applied extreme pincushion correction to distort it within its black border. This seems to make a more interesting image to me, but what do you think?

Stacked bricks

Philip

Real Name
    Gretchen

ooooh, Mr B! I think you did out-cool mine. Mine is more whimsical--kids stuff. Your's is some serious artwork!

Real Name
    Erik

Hi Philip,

At first glance, it reminded me of a TV set (not an LCD model though) ;-)
    One of my favorite reasons for visiting, contributing and participating here at CiC is the vision that others have on one persons image. I would have never of thought of doing what both you a Gretchen did.

Erik

Real Name
    Richard

One of the things that I like about being able to converse with other photographers is to be able to get feedback on shots like this. I know my wife who is certainly not a photographer would say, "Did you photograph the bricks because there is something wrong with them?"

My feedback for this image is that I am not sure that I like the definite line going down the center of the image. I moved it over to the right 1/3 of the image (rule of thirds) and applied several different Photoshop Elements artistic filters...

Real Name
    Gretchen

M . u . s t r . e . s . i . s . t urge to follow another idea about the bricks. I am here to focus on photography, NOT photoshop.

It is ooooh, so hard, but I WILL keep the focus!

Ah, I have a new mantra: Keep the Focus!