Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Re-naming files

Real Name
    John

Re-naming files

I have got several thousand old photo's, in folders and would like to rename them (they are currently just as they came out of the camera). The naming sequence would be fairly simple (Westview 1, Westview 2 etc. for each folder) and I am hoping there is an easy way to do this. I have Elements 8, Lightroom 4 and FastStone viewer, I don't know if it can be done with the software I have, but any advice would be much appreciated.

Thak you for any help.

John

Real Name
    Alex

Re: Re-naming files

Hi John,

If you rename your images outside of Lightroom then it will flag the images as missing. It is best to do it inside Lightroom. Here is the documentation from Adobe on how to do this:

http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/Ligh...283034B11.html

1. In the Library module with photos selected in the Grid view, or with a selected photo in Loupe, Compare, or Survey view, choose Library > Rename Photos.
    2. In the Rename Photos dialog box, choose an option from the File Naming menu. Choose Edit if you want to specify a naming option using the Filename Template Editor. See The Filename Template Editor and Text Template Editor.
    If you specify “sequence” for a naming option, Lightroom numbers the photos sequentially. If you don’t want the numbering to begin with “1,” type a starting number in the Start Number text box.
    Alex

Real Name
    John

Re: Re-naming files

Alex, Thank you for a quick response - it's just what I wanted. Never thought to look on Adobe site
    Thanks,

John