Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Goblets in Black and White

Real Name
    Joshua

Goblets in Black and White

I decided to experiment with utilizing candles as the sole light source. The back lit version ended up being my favorite, and I thought I would share with everybody.

Goblets in Black and White

Canon Rebel EOS 450D
    Canon Ultrasonic 28-105mm shot at 70mm
    ISO 100, f/5.6, 30 sec.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Re: Goblets in Black and White

Very nicely done.

Cheers:

Allan

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

This is an attractive image. I just want to ask about a couple characteristics to be sure about whether you intended them to be as they are: Did you intend for the rear goblet to be a bit out of focus? Did you intend to have some horizontal reflections in the front goblet (there are no other horizontal reflections in either goblet)?

Real Name
    Joshua

Thank you for the kind words from both of you.

I did intend for the second goblet to be just slightly out of focus, in order to have slightly less visual competition with the front goblet. As for the horizontal reflections, they are caused by a slight ridge pattern on that particular goblet. The goblets are hand thrown, which is why they aren't exact matches to each other.

Do you find the horizontal reflections attractive or unattractive? As an example, if you find them unattractive, you might have been able to turn the goblet to a position that did not create horizontal reflections. Similarly, if you find them attractive and wanted more of them, you might have been able to turn the other goblet to a position that also created them.

Real Name
    Joshua

I honestly like the effect they give, because they add a little more texture to that part of the goblet. Which again, gives it a little more detail and is more eye catching than the second goblet.

That makes sense, Joshua. All of this stuff is a matter of personal choice. My own challenging experiences with product shots have made me aware of every single reflection, some of them desired and some of them not. So, I was curious about which aspects of your photo are desired and which are not.

By the way, I forgot to mention that the lighting of the goblet rims is one of the most appealing aspects of the image for me.

It has been very enjoyable viewing and discussing your very nice image.

Real Name
    Joshua

Thank you, I have enjoyed it as well.

The lighting on the rims of the goblets was one of the main things that drew me to this photo over the other lighting angles I tried. The other one looked like good photos of two goblets in nice lighting, but this one had a moodier look that caught my eye.