Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Hot Pixels

Real Name
    Des Maguire

Hot Pixels

Spent last Tuesday night out with the camera club.I took some shots of a few harbours and tried some long exposures.
    When I loaded the shots onto the pc,I noticed some hot pixels.I read somewhere that there is a process you can carry out on the camera to rectify this but can't seem to find it.Is this true or is there a link to some info other members may have?

Thanks
    Des

Real Name
    Chris

Re: Hot Pixels

I'm not sure of a way to do it "in camera", but I believe many photo processing programs are capable of pixel mapping and then removing the hot pixels during the processing. For example: LR3 and LR4 remove the hot pixels upon import if they are consistently in the same place on all pics. What are you using to view/edit that these hot pixels were visible?

As I recall, the 'hot' pixels of a sensor are supposed to be mapped at the factory and the camera set to ignore them. It is not unusual for some to be missed, however, or a few to act up under specific conditions (long exposures, for instance). When I purchased my D700, I found out that the sensors used in this model were ones which did not quite make the cut for inclusion in a D3: a few too many hot pixels, in most cases. These were supposed to be mapped out in the factory, but...

Anyway, I remember reading stories of people who sent their cameras back to Nikon to have the hot pixels re-mapped; and hearing complaints about how they received their camera back with the same hot pixels showing or, worst case scenario, even more visible as the re-mapping process missed ones the first mapping had caught.

I believe that with a Nikon, you can take a "dust off" reference shot that will deal with the hot pixels in subsequent shots; but I am not absolutely sure about that.

Real Name
    Tak Fujiwara

Des,
    Is your camara a Canon?
    If so, there is a simple process to map hot pixels by camera itself, but it may or may not work.
    It worked on my ESO 40D, but did not on EOS 5D2.
    I usualy do it in PP using Photoshop Camera RAW for pictures shot by 5D2.

Anyway, try this:
    With lens cap on, do manual sensor cleaning (do not do actual "cleaning", but keep
    your fingers crossed). Wait for 30 second, then turn off power.

Tak
    Last edited by takfuji; 17th August 2012 at 07:15 AM.

Real Name
    Des Maguire

Thanks for the replies guys,much appreciated.
    Tak,that sounds familiar thanks.I have a Canon 60d and always view my photos in DPP first and process in ACR and CS5.
    What I should have said in the post was that the hot pixels are seen in DPP, sorry guys!

Des

PS: Tak,do you mean just turn the camera on,leave for 30 seconds and turn off.

Real Name
    Tak Fujiwara

>PS: do you mean just turn the camera on,

No,
    Well, I was not clear.
    1. Turn camera on.
    2. With lens mounted, and with lens cap on the lens
    3. Hit "menu", find "sensor cleaning", choose "manual cleaning", hit "OK"
    4. DO NOT remove lens, nor lens cap. Leave the camera for 30 seconds.
    5. Turn off.

Tak

Real Name
    Des Maguire

Cheers Tak, I will give it a try.

Des