Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Landscape shooting with a light meter Video Tutorial

Real Name
    Russell

Landscape shooting with a light meter Video Tutorial

Hi, I came across this and found it very informative over an hour long, I no it is also a push for Sekonic meters but useful IMO.
    http://www.sekonic.com/Classroom/Web...otography.aspx
    Russ

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

re: Landscape shooting with a light meter Video Tutorial

There's quite a lot of useful stuff there, but I don't buy his idea that his camera (Canon 7D) only shoots about 6 stops dynamic range and beyond that you need to shoot for HDR processing. I think he's measuring the light in a reflective scene as being 6 stops dynamic range because that's all the camera had to shoot! It isn't quite the same thing.

However, it has inspired me to try my lightmeter and manual mode when out next, so it can't be all bad

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Landscape shooting with a light meter Video Tutorial

There is indeed some interesting stuff in here. Me, I swear by my Sekonic but kind of wishing I'd bought the top model with spot metering.
    His 6 stop dynamic range I think is measured from the Sekonic target with their software. The software is a free download (yahoo !) but the target is in the region of 100$ plus (what ....!) and of course the software only works with the Sekonic target. If you reeaaally need to know the dynamic range of your camera to within 1/10 of a stop it's a must have, if you're like me however it's a 'do without'.

Real Name
    Russell

Thank you for the replies.

Russ

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

I do own a Sekonic meter (L-358) and primarily use it as a flash meter when setting up lighting ratios. I have used it as an incident light meter, especially for natural light portraiture, and again to do lighting ratios. I can't ever recall using it as reflected meter, even though I do have the accessory head for that use and I've looked at some of the spot metering attachments as well.

I find that for most general shooting, going with the lowest ISO setting I can get, in camera metering and using the histogram on the camera is more than adequate for judging general exposures.