Thread: Le Phare de Ré - B&W

Real Name
    Tommy

Le Phare de Ré - B&W

I was fishing through some images and clearing some memory cards and I came accross this one. It is of a lighthouse on the northern part of the island of l'Île de Ré in western France.

Thought it'd make a good high contrast B&W image. So I took it into Photoshop and had a play with SEP2 and came up with this. What do you think?

Le Phare de Ré - B&W

Thanks for viewing

Real Name
    Allan Short

Re: Le Phare de Ré - B&W

Tommy: it works for me on one level and doesn't on another, what works is the upper half of the image, it is the lower portion that doesn't. If I cover up the bottom just below that first black wave about half way up, that it what works for me, it takes it to an interesting photo to a great photo. I think looking at it some more, with the bottom covered, it reminds me more of the ones Donald has been doing, the hills and the bridges.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Tommy

Thanks Allan. I see what you mean. It does work quite nicely as a panorama actually. I do like the textures and diagonal lines created by the ripples in the sand in the original though.

I am keen to hear what others think.

Real Name
    Tommy

I'll throw it up there as a comparison...

Le Phare de Ré - B&W

Real Name
    Allan Short

Tommy: for me that landscape works, I could just keep coming back to look again and again and again, it relaxes my mind so to say (some would say what mind). Looking at it here I think it is the contrast between the rough dark waters and the smooth light clouds, with that nice clear band in the middle, it is all balanced.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    Tommy

Thanks Allan, appreciate it. The more I look at it, the more I like it too

Thanks for the suggestion!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I find this a strangely (because it is different) alluring image that really does attract and hold attention. It does grabs you and takes you into itself.

I wouldn't go so far as Allan in terms of the suggested crop, but I'd agree that a bit less on teh bottom would throw more attention onto the light house, which I feel is maybe needed. Using the existing top and sides, what I did in my head was made it a 2:1 ratio. That worked fro me because it took the horizon down a bit and that felt more balanced.

I like the way the picture seems to "float/or be suspended" on the white framed edges. To my eye it really adds extra dimension to the overall picture.
    How did you do this? Which program/application did you use?
    I didn't realize the second one was the changed one & it is the one I like best.

diane
    Last edited by Diane; 16th August 2012 at 01:36 PM. Reason: added comment

Real Name
    Ken Curtis

Tommy, I think your latest crop makes for an exceptional photo. Good job.

Real Name
    Tommy

Thanks Donald, I'll try that and see how it looks... And thanks Ken for your kind words:-)

@Diane - I use Photoshop. Once I am happy with my post processing I add a white border (typically about 30 pixels wide on a picture that I have reduced in size to 1000 pixels) and give it a 1 pixel stroke inside. I add the same stroke to the picture layer itself and then add a drop shadow effect. Hope this helps.