Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Need help for printing with Mac with Epson R3000 and Hahnemuhle paper

Real Name
    António Correia

Need help for printing with Mac with Epson R3000 and Hahnemuhle paper

I am looking for help and what I really would like is for you far easier than for me, a humble amateur photographer. I thank you for any help to start with.

I have a Mac 27", a Spider as monitor calibrator, an Epson R3000 and Hahnemuhle Fine Art paper. I use CS5 and I print through this very program.

My problem is that when I arrive to the box Print Settings/Basic/Media Type, my Hahnemuhle paper is not there and I think it should as Epson is...

I am not sure if I am explaining myself correctly but I can try again.

Thank you any help. Oh ! I have the icc profiles installed !

Last edited by Antonio Correia; 15th August 2012 at 09:14 PM.

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Need help for printing with Mac with Epson R3000 and Hahnemuhle paper

Antonio,

I never use Photoshop for printing any more but if I recall correctly (and certainly with the software I'm using for printing) what you need to do is choose the nearest Epson equivalent. For example I use Hahnemuhle and Fotospeed matt papers and so I select (for my R2400 anyhow) Archival Matte. In Advanced Settings (I'm guessing it's Advanced Colour settings on your printer) I select ICM and ICM off (guessing here that you have the same).
    Then in the Photoshop print dialog under Printer Profile I select the ICC profile for the paper I'm using. Under Color Handling you'll want Photoshop Manages Colours and Rendering Intent probably Relative Colormetric, give that a try.
    Not exactly intuitive which is why I switched to another program for printing (QImage) a year or two ago.
    Hope your printer is at least slightly similiar to my R2400 and that this is of some help.

Real Name
    António Correia

Merci Paul
    I have been around this problem from lunch till now (22:35) with a break for dinner and I am rather tired.
    I will come tomorrow and give a try on your solution.
    Merci encore une fois

Real Name
    Allan Short

Anronio: it never will show up there, those are types of paper (media) because it is an Epson printer it shows epson types of papers (media), as it is an epson printer and epson driver. When you downloaded the ICC profiles, there was another download along which was a PDF called handling instructions MK is matt black, PK is photo black, on it, it will tell you what the media setting is (not the name of the stock you are using). Where you see the name of the stock you are using is, under where it states Photoshop manages colour, next you select the IIC stock profile that you are using. It is the pulldown under "Printer Profile", open that and select your Stock's ICC profile.
    Normally you would now go to Print setting, under media select the type of media (paper) you will not find the Hahmenuhle stock listed here as the printer is only interested in the type of stock (matt, gloss, semigloss, etc.,) now that Hahmenuhle stock of the print out has told you the type it is.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    ... Where you see the name of the stock you are using is, under where it states Photoshop manages colour, next you select the IIC stock profile that you are using. It is the pulldown under "Printer Profile", open that and select your Stock's ICC profile.
    Normally you would now go to Print setting, under media select the type of media (paper) you will not find the Hahmenuhle stock listed here as the printer is only interested in the type of stock (matt, gloss, semigloss, etc.,) now that Hahmenuhle stock of the print out has told you the type it is. Cheers: Allan
    Thank you Allan.
    But I am lost at your first sentence of this quotation. My English is not perfect and if for you it is OK, for me...
    I have downloaded the icc and pdf files from Hahnemuhle and I have extracted this info which is in fact, very important.

Would you be so kind as to repeat the quotation in a "primary/basic" way, like teaching a child
    By stock you mean the paper, right ?
    However, I have already done part of this, haven't I ?
    My problem is "only" when I go into the Basic Print Settings and I do not find my paper. But as you said yourself it will never be there if I have understood correctly.

And this is what I see when clicking on Proof Setup. Why Canon ?? Well, never mind as I have Epson. Curiously I see Blurb surely from when I installed their profile...

Thank you

Real Name
    Mark

Antonio

I don't know if this has been said. I use exactly the same printer. You need to go the Hahnemuhle site and download the correct icc profile for the paper you are using and install it into CS5 and then it will show up in the list. The paper manufacturer will also provide the correct media settings for the R3000.

Every time you use a new type of paper, make sure you download the correct ICC profile from the manufacturer. Once you have done it once it will be there every time.

A handy piece of advice. I generally use Canson 310gsm Rag Photographique matt fine art paper. I used to spend time soft proofing. What a waste of time. I am now so confident of the printer/ink/paper combination that I don't bother soft proofing. After a bit of experience with a specific combination you will learn to make fine adjustments without soft proofing.

Regards

Mark

Real Name
    Allan Short

Antonio: you English is very good, I think that you are trying to over think this too much, I know I have myself, and my printer has more steps, and I still mess up, and it it usually over something dum. Yesterday I printed a image on a matte media (Hahmenuhle 308 rag), it was a coloured image it printed B&W, then I remember that the print before was B&W and I had not change the print driver from B&W to Colour try doing that on a 17" x 48" print at $200.00 of a 39ft roll a few times.
    Ok open a print ready file in Photoshop
    File>print
    Up comes the print driver screen
    choose Document not proof (unless you want a proof)
    Colour handling: select "Photoshop to manage Colours"
    Printer Profile: Select HFA_Eps3000_PK_PRPearl" (this is your paper that you are using at this time with the ICC profiles of the Hahmenuhle paper that is for the Epson 3000 printer and inks) My ICC profiles are different for the same paper as it is a different printer the 4900
    The ICC profile tell the printer how to adjust the inks for that paper to match what you see on your screen. As a former printer you can use the same ink on a job, however it will look different on each different stock used.
    You have choosen the correct ICC profile for the paper you are using, now go to print settings
    Select the correct print
    select paper size
    Select (basic or Advanced) go with advanced
    Now the one that is hanging you up, under Media, select as the PDF from Hahumenuhle states, the PK_Pearl media setting is the same as Epson's Premium Luster Photo Paper, which you will find under the pull down "photo paper".
    Media and the stock you use are not the same, each stock will have its own ICC profile, however many stocks may share being of the same substrait (media) ie: gloss, semi-gloss, matt, fine arts etc..
    Follow that PDF from the supplier and follow 1 thru 7 at the end make sure the paper is in the print and hit print

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    António Correia

@ Mark in NZ
    I do have all the icc profiles installed and I am using the color handling from Photoshop and I can't change the proof set-up as we can see in the above print screen.
    I am aware of the subject of your first two paragraphs.
    I hope in the future to be able to overcome these problems and be as confident as you are.
    Thank you for the lines and advises.
    Oh I have not yet tried colored photos except one yesterday which was a disaster.
    Let's settle things in B&W that color will come later.

-
    @ Allan from Canada
    Thank you again for your patience of describing in detail all the procedures.
    I read the pdf file - from which I send an annotated print screen - and it says like yourself to set the paper to Premium Lustre. However, when I click Print the dialogue box says me what you see on the picture bellow.

I had to go back to Epson Archival paper with good results.
    I am not using Super Quality photo. I read somewhere that the 1.440 dpi is perfectly acceptable saving ink on the way.
    -
    Thank you again for the patience to teach me

Real Name
    António Correia

Small video

Real Name
    António Correia

More help needed !

Somehow I got a decent B&W print but now I have tried a colored image and it turned out too magenta/red.

Do you think it is the icc profile to blame ? It shouldn't be as the profile is for the paper to be used in colored or B&W images. However, the Hahnemuhle paper says it's with Photo Black (PK)

I went to Paper Configuration and moved the cursor to (-)15 in the Color Density... Result: Another sheet to the trash can !

I can see the ink tanks lowering !!!!

Real Name
    Paul

I'd have thought the profile would have been close(ish) but it depends on whether it's just a red/magenta cast or horribly red/magenta. PK should I believe be ok for a Pearl coating. Have you turned your printer colour management (ICM) to off ?
    I know I spent ages trying to get my printer to give consistent results, by eye and with a profiling device (Color Munki or something). Finally I changed paper supplier to a company that did my profiling for me free of charge.
    Actually just watched your video - and it appears that you're selecting a matt type paper from the print dialog but loading a pearl coated paper ? That doesn't seem quite right to me somehow ... but I could be wrong

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by bambleweeney View Post
    I'd have thought the profile would have been close(ish) but it depends on whether it's just a red/magenta cast or horribly red/magenta. PK should I believe be ok for a Pearl coating. Have you turned your printer colour management (ICM) to off ?
    I know I spent ages trying to get my printer to give consistent results, by eye and with a profiling device (Color Munki or something). Finally I changed paper supplier to a company that did my profiling for me free of charge.
    Actually just watched your video - and it appears that you're selecting a matt type paper from the print dialog but loading a pearl coated paper ? That doesn't seem quite right to me somehow ... but I could be wrong
    But Paul you just gave me a great idea: to ask the paper supplier to help me or even solve the problem. Great. Instead of "breaking my head" for days and nights !

About your last paragraph.
    I am an ignorant in many aspects indeed but in this matter of photographic papers I am a zero.
    You are right when you say I was using matt type paper on the video.
    The fact is that when I change the paper to Premium Glossy the printer return a nice beautiful message like this:

Let me change to another to see what happens, kind of trial and error !
    The printer doesn't like Glossy either.
    Semi-gloss... no.
    Velvet-Fine Art accepted. Result = too magenta again. Even worst !
    Ultra smooth fine art accepted. Result = garbage can

Well... I am going to sleep. Good night ...

Real Name
    António Correia

I took some time to make and compose the screen shots herewith which can be useful for someone "passing by" and using a Mac.
    Perhaps a bit confusing but almost all the menus are here. The Scheduler is missing for his minor importance.

Real Name
    António Correia

In trouble again !
    I have succeeded with black and white BUT I am not sure if I am doing things right. The results are excellent
    Anyway, I tried Color and the result was bad.

In the photo below I have the very same file (composition) with the Proof Colors ON and OFF, the former on the left and the later on the right. The difference is obvious even without printing.
    This means that the adjustments have to be made before starting the adjustments of course.
    But suppose that I do the necessary adjustments with the Proof Color ON and I save the image.
    I go to LR and this very image looks like Proof Color OFF.
    To get things worst, if I open the file with Proof Color ON the adjustments are not there and I am supposed to start over.
    What am I missing here ?
    I must be doing something wrong.
    Any tip please ?
    Today I realized how confusing was my late post.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Antonio: I would suggest that you leave proof colours to OFF, you should be able to soft proof in LR. Just do like you do for B&W, Photoshop to handle colour, select the ICC for paper used, select the correct media type, and remember "No colour management", and finally maybe out of order quality of print if it has it "Max Quality".

PS you soft proof before you bring up the print dialoge box.

Cheers:

Allan

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    Antonio: I would suggest that you leave proof colours to OFF, you should be able to soft proof in LR. Just do like you do for B&W, Photoshop to handle colour, select the ICC for paper used, select the correct media type, and remember "No colour management", and finally maybe out of order quality of print if it has it "Max Quality".

PS you soft proof before you bring up the print dialoge box.

Cheers:

Allan
    Thank you Allan Sorry I was not able to write before but I have been terribly busy for some time...