The Red Lamp.

Thank you very much for viewing.

The Red Lamp.

Nikon D70, Nikon 50mm f/1.8D lens.

Real Name
    Kevin

Re: The Red Lamp.

Hi, Willie

Because your images so often have a strong theme, sense of purpose and inter-connectedness, I have looked for it here but it's not coming to me. Although I like the color, shape and pattern within the lights, I am also distracted by unremakable buildings in the background, the sign and diagonal line extending from the foreground man and the indistinct framing on the right. I suspect the lights are identical, but the far one is too distant to be certain that it is a repetition of the primary one. I feel like I am missing something here, so please forgive If I am being dense

Kevin

Real Name
    Frank Miller

A very interesting image, it conveys a story. I love it when you come back to the colour side!

I like the idea of the lamp being reflected in the window and the background, although busy, completes the setting. I thought about how this might look at night with just enough of a hint of the background to complete the image then thought that perhaps it would be worth trying for that look in post processing.

I also see a bit of the window frame on the right and wondered if this was shot with more of the frame around the view if that would help or not. If this window frame is too bland, then perhaps a more artistic frame?

Really nice vision!

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Terrific image! It's immediately apparent to me that the lamps are lighting the way. The two people with their arms flailing have the same intent walking posture and they're both aided by the lamps. The background buildings with the other two lamps convey that the entire area is lit by the lamps. Everything pulls together just fine for me.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by kdoc856 View Post
    Hi, Willie

Because your images so often have a strong theme, sense of purpose and inter-connectedness, I have looked for it here but it's not coming to me. Although I like the color, shape and pattern within the lights, I am also distracted by unremakable buildings in the background, the sign and diagonal line extending from the foreground man and the indistinct framing on the right. I suspect the lights are identical, but the far one is too distant to be certain that it is a repetition of the primary one. I feel like I am missing something here, so please forgive If I am being dense

Kevin
    Hello, Kevin. To give you a background about my intent on the image and about the image, I'll share some information about it. The image was taken at the doughnut restaurant where I shot the "Lady with a cup of coffee". I got there too early so I have about less than half an hour of time looking for interesting objects to photograph. This red lantern got my attention. The 2 reflections are coming from the window where I am shooting at. It was an overcast and stormy day outside hence the semi-dark atmosphere on the background. Since I am studying cinematography books on my own (self-study) I am trying to position my subject against something to create some dimension on the image. The red lantern is stationary, a source of light, people are walking outside, movement, to where... I have no idea. Opposites, that is what I am aiming at here. I did not bother to shoot the lantern without any person on the background because at that time, what immediately came to my mind like an intuitive idea is to wait for some people to come in the frame to add movement to the shot, hence the composition. I am merely experimenting here. I thank you for your honest and personal comment. That means I need to work on more on how to make my images stronger. Thank you very much.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    A very interesting image, it conveys a story. I love it when you come back to the colour side!

I like the idea of the lamp being reflected in the window and the background, although busy, completes the setting. I thought about how this might look at night with just enough of a hint of the background to complete the image then thought that perhaps it would be worth trying for that look in post processing.

I also see a bit of the window frame on the right and wondered if this was shot with more of the frame around the view if that would help or not. If this window frame is too bland, then perhaps a more artistic frame?

Really nice vision!
    Oi, Frank! Nice of you to view my work and give me your comment. Yes, this was shot on a thick glass window and I am shooting from the inside of a doughnut restaurant. Yes, I can make the background darker to make it look like it's night time and I can probably post an edit later. I decided to include just a small fragment of the window frame to have a sense of division between the lamp and the people outside. Still, another conscious try for me at putting opposites when composing a shot.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post
    Terrific image! It's immediately apparent to me that the lamps are lighting the way. The two people with their arms flailing have the same intent walking posture and they're both aided by the lamps. The background buildings with the other two lamps convey that the entire area is lit by the lamps. Everything pulls together just fine for me.
    Hello, Mike. Thanks for viewing my work. Actually, the "two" lamps that you're seeing are multiple reflections of the same lamp that is in focus inside the doughnut restaurant. These two reflections somehow adds extra dimension to the shot that is why I really tried to make them noticeable on the image adjustment. I still have a lot of effort to make to achieve a stronger image. In time, I'll get better. Thank you.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    Actually, the "two" lamps that you're seeing are multiple reflections of the same lamp that is in focus inside the doughnut restaurant.
    I see that now. The first time I viewed the image I couldn't get the large image to display and didn't realize that you were shooting through a window.