Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Lamorna Cove

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Lamorna Cove

I would welcome your comments and suggestions. This panorama is made up of two images taken in August 2008 and stitched together in Panorama Factory. The PF version was not that good, poorly lit and with major distortions, particularly the horizon and I nearly assigned it too the rubbish bin.

I used rulers and arbitrary image rotation to start followed by cropping to get the majority of the image straight. I then used the warp tool in transform to deal with the horizon in particular. Final tidying up of the horizon was done using the rectangular marquee and the clone tool.

Lamorna Cove

Aperture: f/13.0 Shutter Speed: 1/320 ISO: 100
    Last edited by ChrisH; 12th August 2012 at 08:46 AM.

Re: Lamorna Cove

It works fine for me, Chris.

Ideally, I would like to have seen a bit more 'action' in the sky. Some nice fluffy clouds, etc. But this year it is good to simply avoid the rain!

Initially, I wondered if the horizon was a little off; but it is perfect. Just the difference in height of the cliff on the left against the wall on the right. And after looking for a little longer it did come straight.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Chris, I love the composition and given your description, you have done an excellent job on the stitching! The action of the water cascading over the rocks is a special treat in this scene.

The histogram confirms what I had suspected; the tonal range goes from total black in the shadows to total white in the clouds. Given that we have lost detail in both the shadows and highlights, this may be a good scene for multiple exposures. It is more work to combine multiple exposure images in a pano but it can be done.

I agree with Geoff that the sky needs a bit more ‘action’. I hope you don’t mind if I play with the image to see if we could bring out the sky by decreasing the contrast and increasing the saturation being careful to retain the match the colour of the reflection in the water. I also increased the foreground exposure just a little and added a touch of contrast and saturation.

The result may be a bit more personal taste than you would prefer but the primary goal of the suggestive edit was to increase the interest in the sky.

Lamorna Cove

<EDIT> The more I compare the two versions, the more I feel that your original foreground looks better than my edit. Oh well. Life is a learning experience.
    Last edited by FrankMi; 12th August 2012 at 02:27 PM.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    <EDIT> The more I compare the two versions, the more I feel that your original foreground looks better than my edit. Oh well. Life is a learning experience.
    I agree on both points, Frank, especially your second point. You could have selected only the sky and water to increase the interest in those parts of the image, leaving the rest of the image as is.

Real Name
    Dave

Chris, I think you have done a good job. If you had not said it was two shots stitched together I would not have known. The PF version may not have been that good but your other PP work has paid off.

The dynamic range in many landscapes is often huge and getting everything to work is not easy, but then that is half, if not all, of the fun of it. Hope you don't mind my messing about with your shot.

Dave

Lamorna Cove
    Last edited by Tringa; 12th August 2012 at 03:51 PM.