Thread: Female Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Real Name
    Rollin E. Drew

Female Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Canon 50D, Canon 300mm, 1/2000 @ f4 Female Ruby-throated Hummingbird

One of the most popular US warm weather subjects in bird photography is the Hummingbird; and for good reason. Hummingbirds are easily attracted by using a sugar water feeder and/or nectar producing flowers. They are very tolerant of human beings, thus accessable, and in this specie the male's irridescent red gorget or the female's green body present a very colorful subject. I am posting this not because it represents an exceptional image, but to suggest to those who may be interested in starting in bird photography or those at an entry level, hummingbirds are a good bird with which to start. One does not need an expensive telephoto lens since, if the photographer sits still and is patient, hummingbirds will come to the feeder within close proximity of the photographer. Nor is it necessary to have a camera of unusually high shutter speed since the wings in most species cannot be frozen in flight by shutter alone, only with a large array of strobe lighting. The hummingbird's blurred wings in a photo depict how we see them in nature in any event.

Real Name
    Elayna

Re: Female Ruby-throated Hummingbird

Nice shot! i like how you can see the tongue!!!!!Perfect lighting and very good focus but if you could crop it a bit so the main attraction is the humming bird it would give it more of a look at the bird,other then that lovely shot

Real Name
    Tommy

You've nailed that Drew! What you need to do is follow Steve's advice and hide your feeder with a well placed flower to make it appear that it is feeding from that instead. I think with a bit of practise you'll get an absolute winner!

Great stuff! :-)

Real Name
    Rollin E. Drew

I agree the feeder somewhat overwhelms the bird. If there remains enough resolution I will remove the feeder and if I feel particularly creative, as Tommy suggests substitute a flower for the feeder. Thank you both for your comments, it is what makes this website such a delight.

Best wishes

Rollin E. Drew

Female Ruby-throated Hummingbird
    Last edited by redrew; 11th August 2012 at 03:37 PM.

Real Name
    Rollin E. Drew

Added a little canvas on the left and substituted the flower for the feeder, however I just noticed a little ghosting on the left side of the image, other than that, what do you think?