Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Dragonfly

Real Name
    Steve

Dragonfly

This is a full color image. I had some strange light on the background(water) , which made it look like a black and white image.

Dragonfly

Since the background looked black and white, i did a b&w conversion as well................

Dragonfly

Real Name
    Steven

Re: Dragonfly

I like both the images

Real Name
    Bobo

I have tons of such shots with similar backgrounds but have always found the colour version always works better. Same feeling here.

Real Name
    Paul

Very nice image Steve. I too like the color version best. Although the B&W is fairly nice itself.

Real Name
    Tommy

How strange! It really does look like you've desaturated the background... ...It's a very cool shot though

I often wonder about how peoiple get these shots of dragonflies. I've never really tried myself, but do you set up and focus on a particular branch and wait? or do you chase them and wait for them to land?

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by teokf View Post
    I like both the images
    Thank you steven.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    I have tons of such shots with similar backgrounds but have always found the colour version always works better. Same feeling here.

I agree bobo , I like the color version better as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    Very nice image Steve. I too like the color version best. Although the B&W is fairly nice itself.

Thanks Paul, color for me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RockNGoalStar View Post
    How strange! It really does look like you've desaturated the background... ...It's a very cool shot though

I often wonder about how peoiple get these shots of dragonflies. I've never really tried myself, but do you set up and focus on a particular branch and wait? or do you chase them and wait for them to land?

Thanks tommy.

A little understanding of their behavior is all that is needed. They will often land on the same stick over and over again. Sometimes if they don't land facing the direction I want, i will spook them off the stick and wait for them to come back (just a few min. usually). When they return , they are often facing a different direction.

You can also place sticks in the water for them to land on. Just find a good area with a buch of them buzzing around . Give them a few sticks to land on, and your in business.

What i do, is find the sticks that are being used and then choose the one's with the good backgrounds . I also choose the one's that i can get close enough to fill the frame. ( 5 feet for my 300mm lens.) If there isn't anything available , i will place some sticks in the areas i like.

Real Name
    Patrik

Steve,
    Great colours on your dragonfly. The other day I was out in a boat, far out to sea, and was witnessing a couple of these entertaining us on the the master bed +++ And there was even a beetle coming to interfere with the couple at one point.

Patrik

Dragonfly

Dragonfly

Real Name
    Joe

Nice work Steve, I have found the same thing you describe to Tommy regarding them coming back to the same perch/stick.

Real Name
    Steve

Nice shots patrik, yours look like a mating pair of damselfly's.

Thanks joe, they like their favorite sticks.

Real Name
    Patrik

Thank you Steve for your "damselfly" information. This forum is great not only for photographic learning but also for learning more about the objects we photograph. I read up on damselflies and now I can understand that the photos I took of the pair was not copulating but in fact one holding down the other until ready and it also may have been two males, thus the inaction
    Patrik