Thread: Explanation required

Explanation required

Explanation required
    Hello, I took this photo and I really like it, but I can't figure out why (except the fact that my little girl is in it ). I suspect it has something to do with the light and the amount of green in the picture but I would like to hear an expert opinion. I'd also apreciate tips on how to duplicate the effect .
    Thanks,
    Daniel

Re: Explanation required

There is a favourable condition, often used by portrait photographers, which you by coincidence have used: The white clothing of your little girl forms a natural reflection screen, to light your face also from below. It is subtle, but helps the image.

Real Name
    Ian

I think the light from the left is just about the right intensity and in a good position for the subject.

The green background contrasts nicely with the intensity of the white baby clothes and there is nothing behind that competes too much for attention from the main subjects of the picture.

If I were to do anything I would move position very slightly to prevent the tree trunk appearing out of the subjects head but it is not too intrusive really.

(Sorry, I was not sure from the description whether that was you holding your daughter or whether you were behind the camera? Or being really clever and were doing both using shutter delay !).

One for the album, for sure...

Well, I'm not a native english speaker so I blunder from time to time, the man in the picture is my father in law (but at the first narcissistic urge I'll get I'll propose a forum with photos of the members ), I was behind the camera at the time, doing the dirty work .
    @Lindolfi: thank you for the screen explanation. I was just looking at another picture taken then, in which my mother in law also appears and the lighting on their faces is very different. I'll keep this in mind for future use .
    @shreds: I didn't even notice the tree trunk until you pointed it out . I'll ask someone to cut it down ...or just pay better attention the next time.

Thanks for the comments

Real Name
    Ian

Daniel,

Your English is a million times better than my (non - existant) Romanian.

I will try and consider that when I post in future. You definitely have the advantage over me in that area!

Well, these days English is mandatory in many areas so it's not really a big accomplishment on my side. I promise I won't hold any grudge because you don't speak Romanian .
    Now, if I were to perform an analysis on your message I would conclude something like:
    your Romanian = 0, my English = 1.000.000 x your Romanian = 1.000.000 x 0 = ...hmmm...and I tried so hard all those years
    Have a nice day

Real Name
    Ian

Daniel,
    Bună seara, iată traducerea Românul mea foarte săracă a câștigat de la rețeaua Internet. să vă mulțumească.
    Shreds

Excellent shreds, this post brightened my day . I had some doubts before registering on the forum since I don't have much experience and I seem to have misplaced my artistic side somewhere along the 9 years of high school and university...I don't exactly know when, but this is usually the price to pay for technical training , at least in my experience. But I found that the feedback I got here was very constructive and I think the decision to register and start posting was a good one. I hope the photos I'll post from now on will not be too offensive to anyone's artistic perceptions .
    By the way, I think the translation (leaving out diacriticals) should be something like:
    "Buna seara, iata traducerea mea romaneasca foarte saraca, obtinuta de pe internet. Multumesc. "

Have a nice day.

Real Name
    Ian

Daniel,

I knew I shouldn't have relied on an internet translation.

I've never written anything in Romanian before!

But hey, I tried.

Look forward to your future photographs.

Cheers

Shreds