Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Do you know how to do this kind of images ?

Real Name
    António Correia

Do you know how to do this kind of images ?

Walt Stricklin is the author of the image I post here.

I have seen before similar work by Michael Hallett which site is down at the moment.

Thank you

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

Re: Do you know how to do this kind of images ?

This is surely done using a series of images of the same scene that are combined into one image.

Real Name
    Al

Although this does look like a panoramic stitch, I suggest this image may have originally been a single shot. The original photo could be cut into 7 "subimages" in PS. Each subimage is then edited to slightly alter exposure, cropping and vignetting, and then stitched back together for the final result. In my opinion, it would be very difficult to get all these men and animals to remain absolutely still long enough to take 7 shots that stitch together seamlessly, so the stitching is likely a deliberate post-processing artifact for artistic effect.

northern Virginia suburb of Washington, DC

You might be right, Al. On the other hand, as I look at it closer and closer, it's difficult to tell from such a small image but I don't think the images are seamless. They could be intentionally disjointed whether made from many images or made from one image cut into sub-images.

Real Name
    António Correia

@ Mike - Thank you.
    -
    @ Al - I think you are right. In fact, it is the only (?) possibility of having everybody still elements in so many frames. The animals would move, the persons and so on.
    I have done before something similar but I posted now expecting some different solution.
    My solution had not the problem of people moving and I took several photographs and composed them in CS. Oh sorry. I didn't do it ! CS did it.
    But in Walts particular image shown here, I think he used just one photograph.
    The other solution would be - silly me - to use 3 cameras with the same setting at the moment of shooting and aimed at different targets/positions. Too busy, too busy
    But no, I think it is just one image decomposed while mine are several photographs combined together as I said before Please see below.
    -
    @ Mike - You are probably right about the "imperfections" of the image. Look here what he says in the Artist Statement

My image done a couple of years ago.

Thank you all for the contribution.
    -
    I almost forgot. Michael Hallett's images (just bellow, and the last one of this post) - I found his site after all - are composed with many images. How he manages the people I do not know ! See this blog here or even Google for more infos about him.
    A little glimpse how he does it. And here a slide show of some of his images.