Thread: Cause of problem in this photo

Cause of problem in this photo

Hello, I'm a novice to DSLR photography and this is probably really obvious. But can anyone tell me what caused the secondary image of the window in this photo? Is it flare? And how to avoid it? I had the same problem with several photos on this trip, very irritating.
    I was using a Nikon D5000 and a Nikkor 35mm f1.8G lens, with only a basic UV filter.
    Thanks.

Cause of problem in this photo
    Last edited by SJHC; 6th August 2012 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Now with photo!

Real Name
    Tom

Re: Cause of problem in this photo

Yup, it's flair. To solve it, get rid of that stupid UV filter.

Real Name
    Gretchen

being me, I have to wonder: "how cool would it look if you could overlay and flip a less opaque version of the model? So that her "ghost" would be looking at her from the window?" What you see as a problem, makes my mind go off on all kinds of tangents . . LOL. I'm strange, yes, I know.

Real Name
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by tclune View Post
    Yup, it's flair. To solve it, get rid of that stupid UV filter.

yes, it's flair. I don't want to start an iteration of the 'use filters/ don't use filters' argument, but I'd suggest this:

--don't use cheap filters of any kind, UV or other. Stick with good mult-coated filters to lessen flair. Good mid-priced brands include Hoya and Marumi.

--If you do use UV filters for protection (with digital, there is no other reason to use one), take it off when the light is in front of you, as it was in this photo, to lessen flare. [Full disclosure: I sometimes do and sometimes don't use UV filters for protection, depending on the circumstances and the lighting.]

--Filters are not the only source of flare. Lenses are made of glass too, and they flare. Some flare more than others. Even without a filter, you risk flare with a strong light source in front of you.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by DanK View Post
    yes, it's flair. I don't want to start an iteration of the 'use filters/ don't use filters' argument,
    We're still wiping up the blood after the last one!

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    We're still wiping up the blood after the last one!
    LOL! Think of it less as an issue and more as a technique that could be applied under the right circumstances to enhance an image.

Thanks very much for the help. To be fair, it was a Hoya filter, but clearly in future I'll have to take it off in that sort of situation.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Wow, I have never seen flare that bad.

I almost can't believe it is the UV filter and wondered if there was another sheet of glazing between you and the model?

I'm sure I have shot in similar circumstances and have never experienced flare like this - I use Hoya's "Pro1 Digital" filters, might be worth a try because based on the evidence, as Dan says, it must be an 'uncoated' one.

Cheers,

https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tu...lens-flare.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_flare

The double image seems to be circular in shape (not multi-sided like a diaphragm). Could it be caused by a reflection off the front element of the lens, back to the rear face of the filter, and back in again through the lens to the sensor?

Typically flare is dispersion (scattering) of light, whereas this is a reasonably clean double image - very little dispersion going on.

This could happen with a cheap filter/lens without an anti-reflection coating (or a poor one).

I can't recall when I didn't use a filter, and I've never had anything like that. That being said, I only use high end filters.

Glenn
    Last edited by Glenn NK; 6th August 2012 at 04:53 PM.

Real Name
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn NK View Post
    I can't recall when I didn't use a filter, and I've never had anything like that.
    Yeah, I didn't want to get too involved in my original response, but I was wondering if the filter was dirty. That would help it act as more of a mirror than a window. Nonetheless, it seems crazy to buy a good quality filter to protect a $200 lens while risking all the downsides of the added glass.

Quote Originally Posted by tclune View Post
    Yeah, I didn't want to get too involved in my original response, but I was wondering if the filter was dirty. That would help it act as more of a mirror than a window. Nonetheless, it seems crazy to buy a good quality filter to protect a $200 lens while risking all the downsides of the added glass.
    That's possible. I'll pay more attention to lens/filter cleanliness as well! Thanks, all.

Real Name
    Richard

You mentioned using, "only a basic UV filter" which leads me to assume that you were not using a lens hood. IMO, a hood is a requisite for any image I am shooting both to protect from flare and to provide physical protection for thre front element of the lens from damage...

Real Name
    J stands for John

I have always considered that a little bit of dirt hurt nobody, me, my child, whatever but I wonder how effective a lens hood you may be using in this rather critical situation where the camera needs all the help you can give it

Real Name
    Remco

Using a lens hood whenever you can is good advice, but I'm not sure a hood would have helped in this case:
    the light source is in the frame, so not blocked by any lens hood...

Might the light spot/flare be a case of reflection from the sensor, given the symmetrical placement?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

I too believe it is sensor<>filter bounce, because the reflection is 'flat' - it would be barrel distorted from a curved lens element.

Hoya, like most manufacturers, make different grades of filter, is it possible this was a cheaper variety, or perhaps an older/ secondhand model?

The first rule of Fight Club club is...
    don't mention the UV Filter.