Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Project 52 -week 31?-C&C for newbie--PLEASE!!!!

Real Name
    Gretchen

Project 52 -week 32?-C&C for newbie--PLEASE!!!!

(STILL LEARNING--new post at bottom of thread)

ok, I went out with a girlfriend who is helping me learn the camera. I know this is a strange composition, but I thought it was kinda interesting and I liked the detail on the leaf of the dandelion(?) and the different shadows from the angle of the light source.

My system says: f-3.5; iso125; metering-spot; wb-normal

I was playing around with the manual settings and got very confused. What is white balance normal????

Oh, and the histogram shows: mean-85.44; std deviation-58.46; mean-74. should I pay attention to this??

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT!!!! Gretchen

Project 52 -week 31?-C&C for newbie--PLEASE!!!!
    Last edited by ggt; 13th August 2012 at 01:40 AM. Reason: update

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Project 52 -week 31?-C&C for newbie--PLEASE!!!!

Hi Gretchen,

In reverse order - because it's late as I type

Quote Originally Posted by ggt View Post
    Oh, and the histogram shows: mean-85.44; std deviation-58.46; mean-74. should I pay attention to this??
    No - I have no idea why they put them there - the only time I can imagine those figures might be useful would be shooting a test chart when the known answer is easily calculated, or could be compared to other cameras - for practical purposes on normal shots, I believe they are meaningless.

ok, I went out with a girlfriend who is helping me learn the camera. I know this is a strange composition, but I thought it was kinda interesting and I liked the detail on the leaf of the dandelion(?) and the different shadows from the angle of the light source.

My system says: f-3.5; iso125; metering-spot; wb-normal

I was playing around with the manual settings and got very confused. What is white balance normal????
    I agree, there is no such thing as a "Normal" WB, that must be Sony taking liberties with the English language again!
    I suspect it means "Auto" WB was used.

I see what you mean, but there are also some distracting elements that could be PP'd to be less distracting, does this concentrate the eye on what you saw?
    Or did I miss the point?

Click one to view in Lytebox then switch between then with arrows to play 'spot the difference'

Hope that helps,

Real Name
    Gretchen

Re: Project 52 -week 31?-C&C for newbie--PLEASE!!!!

Yes, Dave, I see what you changed and yes, it makes a lot of sense. I appreciate your input and honestly. I still new and hard fro my brain to process. I tend to like unusual images and angles. This is one of what I call the "gnome" shots. What does the world look like from the perspective of a garden gnome? Always gives a new perspective. . . .

Thanks again for taking the time!!!

ggt

Real Name
    Gretchen

Re: Project 52 -week 32?-C&C for newbie--PLEASE!!!!

I did some PP on the background to remove distracting items. I like the detail on the "black eyed" part of the flower. Found out my Sony Cybershot has a macro setting . . .Who knew? Thanks for your input.

Real Name
    Gretchen

PROJECT 52 - WEEK 34 - C&C ALWAYS!! Please

The only post processing I did was to darken the background in the center and add the frame. Gladiola close-up: